Just wondering......

Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 PM

Me, but I get on planes anyway! Have always been lucky in that all took off and landed the way they were supposed to.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:42 PM

I'm not thrilled it about it either, but I would be so limited in travel options that I do it anyway. I suspect you are more scared of flying because you are out of control. When we're driving, we think there might be somethig we can do to avoid injury. But 30,000 feet in the air - not so much. But look at safety statistics - you are sooooo much safer in the air than on a cycle!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 PM

Statistically, flying is extremely safe.
I remind myself that every time I fly, which I do regularly because of my job. I used to jump out of airplanes, and was never afraid to fly and some of those airplanes were literally held together with duct tape! My DH is an ex-pilot and aircraft mechanic, and he doesn't like to fly because he knows the back side of maintenance and deregulation. For me, the bigger the plane, the greater my anxiety. But, statistics are still in favour of the flight vs the drive and the bonus is a short trip time.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:31 PM

Love to fly Have been to Japan twice to see my son,
In Navy
Thats a ten hour flight if there is a wind at your back
can't wait too go again
Old 05-12-2011, 08:12 PM

Love to fly...Hate getting thru the airport and onto the plane.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Love to fly and would love to learn mbut so expensive. I have passed the ground school part.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM

LOL! I am 52 also, and flew for the first time last Oct. down to Charlotte, NC for work! I loved it! I was afraid I might get motion sickness, but got along fine. I might get to do it again this Oct. for the same conference. It wasn't that I had never wanted to fly, or was afraid to, but that I just never traveled much.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:41 PM

My head knows that it is safer to fly than drive. I know that somehow the air holds up the airplane. My son flys his own plane. But I told my husband, that if God had wanted us to fly, he would have given us wings.

All that said, I do fly. I have been flying since I was 10 yr old (1950) with the prop jobs. I am getting ready in less than a week to take an almost 10 hr flight. This is a dream trip, the only reason I would do it. I have never flown that long before, I can tell you I am anxious. It is funny because once I am on the plane I usually enjoy it. Love looking out the window, love the take off, go figure.

Don't like to go to the potty, don't want to rock the plane (that is going to be a problem next Wednesday). Love security, except for me going thru it. I always hope they are doing their job well. Don't like being packed like sardines. Some crews are friendly than others.

Love the cruise ships and trains. And love to drive my car.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:54 PM

Flying is the easy part, getting through the airport is the tension builder. Once on the plane, sit back & read or watch a movie or snooze unless you're seated next to a chatty cathy.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 PM

I've flown many, many times within US and to Europe and while it wasn't my favorite way to travel it was OK. Nowadays I hate the idea of being packed into a plane for a long time. Years ago there were always empty seats on the planes, with an empty seat between DH and I we could spread out a bit and not feel so squished and not feel there wasn't enough air to breath. I also have developed arthritic problems with my knees and getting into and out of those seats is giving me nightmares.

Granddaughter who lives in CA is planning her wedding there in October 2012 and I'm already worried about flying there. There's a bit of hope as she and fiance may be changing wedding site to Chicago (where his family lives) so we could drive there, or even better, wedding might be right here in Jersey.

Saw this reply and Jet Blue is the way we'll go if we have to fly.
"P.S. I flew on Jet Blue recently and discovered that they have "wider seats" for those of us with "wider seats"!
May in Jersey