Anyone tried Melatonin ?

Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I tried it years ago, but it didn't help me at all.
me either. So now I take two Zanax at night to sleep.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 AM

The doctor told my grandfather years ago to go out in the
evening and take long walks and if you walk enough you will go home and fall asleep for the rest of the night and he said it worked. i walk 35 minutes in the evening and I sleep
all night. I know in some places it is not safe to do this.
I don't do this in the winter either.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:26 AM

Took it many times. Woke up refreshed.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:31 AM

You might also try Valerian...read lable for cautions and side effects.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:41 AM

I have been watching this thread. Interesting what everyone has to say about melatonin. My friend's son, 3 yrs old, has to give it to him every night. He has mild autism. So the doctor recommended giving him a 1/4 of 1 mg and he does great with it. Apparently children with autism do not produce enough melatonin naturally. It has been a god send for them. He use to stay up til midnight, now he goes to sleep at 8 and sleeps all night long.

I told my friend that my son had trouble falling asleep/unwinding at bed time and she recommended it for him. (and we have had a regular bed routine since he was born) Of course I spoke to my Pedi first before giving it to him. She was ok with giving it to him, but not for long periods at a time. I did give my son a 1/4 of 1 mg for a couple of nights and he went right to sleep and was so rested the next day. I couldnt believe how alert he was and calm. I gave it to him for two nights, then the thrid night I didnt. Well, he was awake most of the night with vivid dreams. Kept me up all night with him calling me. The doctor did say when I spoke to her that taking melatonin will surpress dreams and keep you from going into rem (I believe that is how she put it) I guess the third night without melatonin, his dreams wanted to make up for the last two nights LOL

However, she recommended giving him Benadryl every night for about a month to get him back in to rythm. I took one mg of the melatonin one night and I had a severe headache the next day. I havent tried it since lol.

I also have severe sleep apnea (had 59 apneas in an hour!!!)and am on a APAP machine and been on it for two years now. . Now, I can't sleep with out it.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Melatonin works for me ,but I wake up feeling groggy just like as if I had taken Benedryl. Tylenol pm works that way too(it has benedryl in it)Maybe I'll give Valerian a try.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Years ago, when I was still working, I used to take Melatonin to help me regulate my sleep schedule when I traveled. It did help a bit but I've never taken it as a routine sleep aid. I'd be interested to hear how this works for you.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Benadryl 25 mg...or the generic...can make you drowsy enough to fall asleep too if you are not allergic.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:07 PM

I have used it and it works for me, but I found the fastest way to go to sleep is to talk to God. Somehow I always fall asleep in the middle of my prayers.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM

My neighbor swears by it!