Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What color is your sewing room? >

What color is your sewing room?

What color is your sewing room?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 AM

My sewing room is off white. My shelves are a blond oak. I will be putting in more shelves but they will be modular and will be white. The lively colors of my fabrics add lots of color to the room. I love colorful quilts and they really stand out in the white space.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:22 AM

Our daughter and son-in-law painted my sewing room a warm shade of yellow. It is a small room with big windows on 3 sides, a beautiful retreat. It is on the 2nd floor and in May when our crabapple tree is in bloom, I feel like I am quilting in the tree!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:29 AM

I took over the dining room, that was empty for years, as a sewing space .

I painted one wall in a plaid pattern after I had shoulder surgery about six years ago. I thought it would be good rehab. Each color in one direction took me three hours to tape. I'd paint it, take the tape down, and tape the other direction. The doctor said I overdid the rehab.
Attached Thumbnails living-room001.jpg  
Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
I took over the dining room, that was empty for years, as a sewing space .

I painted one wall in a plaid pattern after I had shoulder surgery about six years ago. I thought it would be good rehab. Each color in one direction took me three hours to tape. I'd paint it, take the tape down, and tape the other direction. The doctor said I overdid the rehab.
That is amazing. And while nursing a sore shoulder-wow! I love it. How long did you have to wait to mask the opposite stripes? I'm getting ready to paint a bathroom with horizontal stripes and thought I'd have to wait a couple of weeks to add the stripes or the tape would damage the base color of the paint.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
That is amazing. And while nursing a sore shoulder-wow! I love it. How long did you have to wait to mask the opposite stripes? I'm getting ready to paint a bathroom with horizontal stripes and thought I'd have to wait a couple of weeks to add the stripes or the tape would damage the base color of the paint.
It's been a while, but I think it was only a matter of hours when using the blue painters tape. As soon as the paint is dry, you can use the blue tape over it. I probably did one taping a day since I was trying not to overdo it.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I am just curious . In the room where you sew, what color is the wall paint? Did you choose it? Like it or feel stuck with it? If stuck, what color would you choose? Why?

I transformed my DD's old room when she moved out in Feb. She had three lime green walls and a purple accent wall. Totally her personality.

i repainted in a soft yellow called Custard Cream by Behr. Absolutely love how cheerful it makes me. Calm and creative.

How about you? I love studying the psychology of color.
Because I wanted to have no interference or influence by/from wall color with the fabrics, my walls are a very pale beige (not stark while).........and the result (for me at least) is that I get true color when I have fabrics or blocks up on the design wall..........color is also soothing......
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM

I have so many machines, fabric containers, tables and peg board for hanging sewing items I haven't see the walls for about 8 years. I think it was blue Ha (happy sewing)
Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 AM

Mine is a lite aqua marine. I mixed it myself as I couldn't find what I wanted.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Mine is a nice warm beige that was in the house when we bought it. One wall is mostly a large window above my sewing table, another is hidden behind bookcases, a third is hidden under a quilt and the 4th is a pair of closets with another bookcase between them, so there wouldn't be much point in changing the paint in that room. The woodwork is off white. I have a floral window topper in various soft colors on a white background, and the floor is an oatmeal beige berber carpet. The floor is the only thing I'd like to change anytime soon, but it's a low priority as long as the carpet holds up.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 AM

White with a floral border strip about 3 feet from floor, then above it is white background with pink sponging. It was my daughter's room and I like it so I just added my own touches to it and everything else that makes me happy.