Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" >
  • Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

• Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Old 11-06-2018, 09:43 PM

I'm probably wrong about the strings -- just speculating!
    Old 11-07-2018, 04:53 AM

If she does strings and you have known issues just get a stripe fabric in the color she is doing strings in.
    Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
    I hope there are no strings. The blue strings was when Orca Bay became a UFO for me. I think if she does strings again, I will just cut the piece from one fabric. I know it takes away some, but it should save my sanity.
    Old 11-07-2018, 04:56 AM

I hope there are no strings too. It's great for people who keep strings in their stash but I always make a tremendous mess cutting them. After going thru my stash, not near enough orange but I do have the red and blue in toscana. So it's off to the LQS today, I think I will try to use toscana in all the colors out of yardage.
    Old 11-07-2018, 05:37 PM

Got my color chips at Lowe's. Colors are primary colors and I like them so I will keep to Bonnie's colors. I looked through my stash and lo and behold...I can make this quilt from my stash only. Not that this will happen ever happen (LOL).

I still think I will probably just print out all the clues and then decide if I want to do the mystery. Although, if I only do a 1/2 size (36" x 36") that shouldn't be too overwhelming.

Can't wait to see the first clue and how everyone's blocks work up.
    Old 11-07-2018, 05:51 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt

I still think I will probably just print out all the clues and then decide if I want to do the mystery. Although, if I only do a 1/2 size (36" x 36") that shouldn't be too overwhelming.
    Actually, half size would be 36" x 72"... or some wider, less long configuration. If you want 36"x36", you only need to make 1/4 of the units.

Here is the link again, in case anyone needs it:

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2018...e-mystery.html
    Old 11-07-2018, 07:28 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    My back for Good Fortune is finished except for sizing it up for the machine quilter.
    72" square isn't for me, I'm figuring 18 more of whatever units we make plus some interesting inner borders.

haven't looking in the fabric closet yet, I'm enjoying the anticipation!

You wouldn't know it to look at it, but this back is the culmination of trying to do something with Bonnie's rail fence leader ender challenge this year.

Now I'm trying to think what to use for leader enders next.
    Wow, Kalama! That is quite a backing!

How about doing Jewel Box Stars as your next L/E-?
    Old 11-08-2018, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    It's the remark Bonnie made when mentioning using 1 fabric per color that got me wondering. I'm not allowed to quote the remark here, but it's in the introduction just before the pictures of the paint chips. Normally she says it's fine to use just 1 color and leaves it at that, but this time she followed up with some rather mysterious comments. As I recall, there was also an issue with 1 fabric per color in En Provence, because of the neutral 4-patches. I can't remember when Bonnie suggested people bring in another neutral in that mystery -- if it was in the intro or when clue #1 came out. I know she likes to avoid giving anything away for as long as possible.

Oh good call Lisa! I did go back and read her comments. Right after saying if using 1 fabric you're fine she does make a rather odd, cryptic comment. I had forgotten about the En Provence 4-patches... those doing scrappy were encouraged to use a two-tone approach to the neutral 4-patches while those using just 1 fabric basically got to skip a step. Well bother! I had planned to just use 1 fabric per but I needed 2 orange fabrics for my neutral to have enough yardage. I guess if it **is** strings I could just alternate - or just use one or the other.... hmmmmm..... maybe I'll wait until the 2nd clue is revealed and decide.
    Old 11-08-2018, 06:47 AM

Funny that strings have come up - I was looking over a lot of Bonnie's other patterns and saw some using strings that I really like!

I have not decided on fabric yet, maybe this weekend I'll have time to spend with my stash until something "speaks" to me.
    Old 11-08-2018, 07:01 AM
    Power Poster

[QUOTE=Macybaby;8157903]Funny that strings have come up - I was looking over a lot of Bonnie's other patterns and saw some using strings that I really like!

I'm also "watching" to see if strings are included. They can be a bit of a challenge for me, but I'm up to it.

I still need to dig in my stash to see how much of suitable blues and greens I have. Am on the fence about the red and oranges.....
    Old 11-08-2018, 07:20 AM

I'm Ready!!

My Quilted Twins Good Fortune package came in the mail today. I am thrilled with the neutrals and the only one I question is one of the blues where there is high contrast in the fabric. Top blue.

What do you think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603680[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 20181108_101152_resized.jpg