Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!! >

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 AM

I too have been comtemplating taking over my front living rm. I have already outgrown my current rm even though I have only been in there a yr. 2 big tables take up alot of rm. My wonderful man is very understanding and said to plant myself where ever. My front living rm is rarely used, the cats love it as it gets tons of sun...thats concern # 1, love my cats hate the hair. Concern # 2 the expensive of having to add cabinets as I would lose a closet. Concern #3...and probably should be #1 I am very anal about being organized but it also has to look nice when I am not using it, which can be done if money weren't a concern...yes I feel your pain..lol

p.s. I should add I agonized over this all last weekend as my friend Gloria can atest to as i wasn't in the best of moods.....then by monday i had decided to just be content w/ the rm I have, then I started reading this thread...thanks...I think ladies...lol.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 AM

We no longer have a living room, it is my sewing room. I had never lived in a house that didn't allow me to have a sewing room b efore this one (13 years of it now), and I finally decided why should I do without my area when he has a huge out building for his toys, plus his own computer room (which I have learned to use now, too), and he takes over the dining room (reading newspapers is really a chore)...so the living room, with a love seat, TV and remote are his. People laugh at our home...but it is us.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 AM

Oops! I didn't mean I was laughing at you all-I meant I was laughing at the things you wrote!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Bev

I'm afraid not - the scullery is the heart of activity on the cooking front - I am a keen cook too! As we have a small farmhouse - I use the scullery to house my enormous chest freezer and the sink, washing machine, dishwasher and shelves and shelves of built in storage - all full of food and cooking equipment AND this work top is strictly sewing free - so its atually where I do the cooking - just using the kitchen to ACTUALLY cook on the stove. (and we eat in the kitchen too!)

:D[/quote]
So, does that mean the scullery is actually the kitchen? Or is the scullery a room of its own? I've always been curious about the term "scullery," maybe I need one. If so I'll put that on our list of rooms needed in the house we'll be buying in the near future.

:lol:
Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 AM

One of the reasons I liked this house we bought about 10 years ago is that it had a "bonus" room on the third level. I think the previous owner used it as an office. It is a perect sewing room. It had hardwood floors, easy to sweep, lots of light and a view of the water. The room is approx. 15' by 13'. I have 3 cabinets 4' by 6' tall, plus lots of built in shelves. My favorite purchase was a sewing machine cabinet and cutting table from Koala. There is no closet in the room, so I know it was not meant to be a bedroom (besides we have 4 of those). We are retired but have a lot of company since we live in a coastal area. My room still gets to be a mess at times when I am sewing a lot and sometimes some of it will migrate downstairs. But since the room is upstairs, no one has to look at it including my DH. One of my granddaughters is coming down this summer and we will go thru the magazines, books, and patterns to organize or donate. I am getting overwelmed by my collection of books, etc.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 AM

I couldn't agree with you more! Qhat use is living to retirement if you cannot spend the time doing what you really love?

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Originally Posted by Bev
I thought I was bad, but I can see I'm a rank amateur.
I moved from our very small office/computer room into the bedroom left vacant when my granddaughter went off to college. I thought it would be perfect. There was a double door closet, three blank walls, and a decent size window. But I have filled it up already and am bursting at the seams. How did I ever manage with the smaller room? However we will be downsizing into a smaller house as soon as my husband retires in January. My DH tells me that I have way too much stuff for "just a simple hobby" like quilt making. So, I've been warned that a lot of it will have to go. We will not have the extra bedroom/quilting room. I can't even imagine how I can get rid of as many of my things as he says I'll have to. What I'm thinking of is leading him by the nose to a house (hopefully I'll find the right one) that has a Florida Room, or enclosed porch. Then I'll convince him that we don't need a room like that for the purpose it was meant for, and I will, quick as a bunny, swoop in with all my quilting stuff and get it set up before he knows what hit him. When it's a done deal it will be too much work to change it. I may end up better off because it'll have more windows which means better natural light. What do y'all think? Is this a possibility?
You just tell him that having a room for your quilting is not negotiable. Downsizing does not mean having so little space that you can't enjoy life - it just means eliminating the excess space. Your sewing space is not excess! :D
Old 04-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Barbara A.
We no longer have a living room, it is my sewing room. I had never lived in a house that didn't allow me to have a sewing room b efore this one (13 years of it now), and I finally decided why should I do without my area when he has a huge out building for his toys, plus his own computer room (which I have learned to use now, too), and he takes over the dining room (reading newspapers is really a chore)...so the living room, with a love seat, TV and remote are his. People laugh at our home...but it is us.
I have a good friend who actually did turn her living room into a quilting studio when she got her long-arm. First let me say, she has a darling, and amazing, husband! One wall of the room has had kitchen cabinets installed, both uppers and lowers. She uses the counter top as a cutting area and a place to put her two extra sewing machines. She has plenty of space for her long-arm, plus for everything else. One wall also has her large design board, she has hung a large bulletin board there as well. The down side to this is that her front door opens right into the studio. She makes no apologies for this, and cares not that the next owner of the house might not like kitchen cabinets in her living room. She just says, "I'll be gone by then, so let someone else worry about it." I love the attitude!

:lol: :lol:
Old 04-28-2010, 04:47 PM

My sewing rooms are in a converted blacksmith shop! During the 1989 earthquake the original house on the property fell down, so the family poured a concrete floor in the 100+ year old blacksmith shop, added some plumbing, turned it into a small bathroom (now storage), the lean-to bedroom (now houses my Tin Lizzie and quilting frame), and the main room was living, dining, kitchen (now my sewing room), and lived there while they built a new home. When we bought it, my husband put in a brick hearth and fixed up the old pot belly stove, installed wood flooring, fixed the leaky roof. I painted and sprayed all the termites, caulked the windows. I have plenty of space, can hide out anytime I want. I have a big jug of water and an old microwave so I can have tea and watch quilting shows on TV! I am definitely spoiled, but so happy about it!

Main sewing room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21219[/ATTACH]

Blacksmith/sewing room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21220[/ATTACH]

Tin Lizzie's room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21221[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-21219.jpe   attachment-21220.jpe   attachment-21221.jpe  
Old 04-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cathleen Colson
My sewing rooms are in a converted blacksmith shop! During the 1989 earthquake the original house on the property fell down, so the family poured a concrete floor in the 100+ year old blacksmith shop, added some plumbing, turned it into a small bathroom (now storage), the lean-to bedroom (now houses my Tin Lizzie and quilting frame), and the main room was living, dining, kitchen (now my sewing room), and lived there while they built a new home. When we bought it, my husband put in a brick hearth and fixed up the old pot belly stove, installed wood flooring, fixed the leaky roof. I painted and sprayed all the termites, caulked the windows. I have plenty of space, can hide out anytime I want. I have a big jug of water and an old microwave so I can have tea and watch quilting shows on TV! I am definitely spoiled, but so happy about it!
What a lovely playhouse you have!! All you need now is a dorm fridge to keep your water cold. Smiles
Old 04-28-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
What a lovely playhouse you have!!
Absolutely agree. That is the quaintest, prettiest Sewing Room I have seen yet.