Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husquavarna Sewing machines >

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Old 07-01-2010, 12:47 PM

JanRN, How is the thread spooling off the spool? Is it horizontal or vertical. I think Lori S may have the solution. If you keep the thread upright (Vertical) it create more tension and then it might snap the thread(shred). Whenever I have thread problems and I can't figure it out why--I will thread the machine keeping my thread in a babyfood jar at the base of the machine then up around the spool pin-place a thread cover on the spool pin to keep the thread from going up and off the pin--then continue threading as you normally would for the machine. There is less tension and curl to the thread this way.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:23 PM

I use a cone thread stand most of the time, so I don't have a lot of the problems ya'll seem to be having. I do guide the thread a bit when I'm winding a bobbin so that it winds nicely. There are newer bobbins that have the hole in the top and it seems to help them wind smoother too.
Sharon W. in Texas
Old 07-01-2010, 02:55 PM

OK-this sounds good ladies!! I have the thread vertical and I haven't tried it in a jar or horizontally. It seems like good thread-no lumps and it doesn't break when I try. I'll let you know.

I called my dealer (who is no longer dealing Vikings) and they don't do loaners but will check and repair machine (all the while trying to sell me a Janome). I hand-quilted one baby quilt so only have one more to do.

Thank you, thank you!!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:13 PM

when you insert a new needle it has to be all the way UP into the hole...maybe there's lint or something up there...my shredding stopped when the needle was changed and I could tell it went farther "IN"
Old 07-01-2010, 05:06 PM

I'm enjoying this thread. I bought a secondhand D1 about 18 months ago. Then we sold our house and moved, so it's been in storage. Just in the last few weeks, I've settled down to using it. It is a wonderful machine! I agree with everyone about the diffuculties making a bobbin. I find it's much easier to thread the bobbin from the needle, as someone else said you just have to make sure the thread from the needle goes under the metal foot to reduce stress on the needle.

The buttonhole attachment is great for making pillow slipcovers.I also really like the 1/4" setting and the fact that the needle can be set to the left as well.

I've just bought the Organizer software to set up embroidery files. I hope I don't run into a problem because my dealer said my tech support was only good for 1 year. I was able to go to one class before having to pack the D1 away, but the class was geared to the folks who had newer machines. So it's trial and error for me. I'm learning a lot just reading over comments here. Thanks for taking time to share!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:52 PM

I will just stick with the 4 machines I already have. I went to friend's house some years ago and we squeezed into her very large sewing room....She had two rows of sewing machines, like a shop..each on it own table. I think there were about 14. And all the other stuff, oh lord lol...she loves machines and I think she buys everyone she sees lol.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:15 PM

Not long ago I sold my Sapphire 830 and now wish I hadn't. I had it set up with the Fab-u-Motion w/cruise control and it was awesome. I still have a Designer SE and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I have a Rose and took it to someone other than an authorized Viking dealer for annual cleaning/servicing. BIG mistake; found out from my Viking dealer that the longer screws were put back in the wrong place and the screws broke the housing on the transformer! NEVER take a Viking to anyone other than an authorized dealer. As for the bouncing bobbin, have you tried 'bobbin genies'? I use those little teflon rings for everything and all my machines love them whether I'm FMQ or embroidering. Lastly, what kind of thread are you using? It really does make a huge difference. Some have a ton on lint and others have almost none. 90% of the time I use Bottom Line thread in my bobbins and have not had any issues with it. Hope this is helpful info.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:57 PM

What is a bobbin genie???
Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Banned

I don't own one. God bless. Penny
Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 AM

I have an 870 and did the needle breaking thing when FMQ until I learned to allow the machine to do the work. I will pulling the fabric way too fast.

Thanks for the tip on the thread winding and whether to have the spool upright or horizontal.

I am wondering if it is only the Husqvarna machines that have so many problems. Do other brands have the same kind of issues?