Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt entered at the "un" fair >

quilt entered at the "un" fair

quilt entered at the "un" fair

Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 PM

i feel for you every time a quilter puts time and i mean a lot of time and thought in to making a quilt that is suppose to be displayed for viewing and judging it should be displayed with as much appreciation for the person who took the time to create this master peice it might not be the monalisa but it is the monalisa to the person who put their time and thought into it. shame on the fair and the judges for just folding them and putting them on the shelf if that is how you wanted it displayed you could have done that yourself at home. i have run into the same problems at the local fair i show my quilts at i create quilts for different organizations and everyone wants to purchase tickets for a quilt that has been on display the correct way for the public to see and judge everyone wants a quilt with a ribbon but in my eyes every quilt displayed the correct way is a blue ribbon winner.next year before you fill out your application for the quilt to enter the fair remind them there is an entrance fee for the quilt and it should be shown in the correct manner bet you would never find cows folded up and sitting on a shelf for display remind them of that
Old 07-26-2010, 06:16 PM

Your quilt is adorable!!! The other quilts posted here are also great and deserve to be seen.

The local fair here does display them and there are three guilds in the area so there are lots of entries - you have to attach a sleeve on the back for hanging or you are disqualified.

A few of us were discussing the judging and the recognition given which in comparison to some of the other competitions isn't much. I guess the 'best pie' and 'best jam' get $85 while the 'best quilt' gets (now don't hold your breath!) $15. Too bad they do not recognize the amount of work and effort in a quilt in comparison to making a pie or jam even though they are yummy!) I have never entered but have gone to see the display.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad your hubby spoke on your behalf. our quilt is darling and how would anyone know this if it is folded up. Shame on them.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Very cute and cheery! I especially like the border.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 PM

I would be really aggravated about this, too. No doubt there were many entrants and quilt admirers who were disappointed because of the problems you've described. I've been on committees that had the task of organizing and holding competitions. It's hard to believe the number of people, almost all volunteers, it takes to have a successful event and how many hours of work are involved in planning it. My suggestion: Contact the person who organized the quilt competition and ask/volunteer to be on the planning committee for 2011. Urge the committee to draw up a list of standards by which the quilts will be judged and publicize the standards as early as possible. Locate event judges who know how quilts should be designed and constructed. (Quilting quilds and quilt fabric shops are perfect places to locate experts.) Also, begin thinking/researching a better way for quilts to be displayed at next year's fair. You'll have a great time, and knowing the event is done in a truly "fair" way will make it worth your time and effort. **This forum would be a perfect place to get suggestions!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

First of all, your quilt is really vibrant and the prairie points add that extra zing. I understand your disappointment, and it certainly isn't rocket science for someone to work out a novel and quilt safe way of displaying each work entered.

As mentioned earlier on this thread, it is very hard for community fairs and other groups to find volunteers. Often it is the same people over and over who are the only ones willing to put in the time and effort required. Maybe investigate the possibility of becoming involved yourself. An injection of new ideas, a fresh enthusiastic approach and knowledge of what it takes to showcase quilts safely and fairly would be of real benefit. Change has to come from within to be effective. So go for it, you may be surprised at what you can achieve, for yourself and other exhibitors.

Oh, Delilah's friend's quilt is a beauty too. Such a shame that next year, people like you and her might not exhibit for fear of the same thing happening.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM

our state fair is the same , as far as being short on space but usually the winners are laid out so most of them can be seen and the others are draped over something or 1/2 folded when i complained i was told well them my i should sign up next year and be on the commitee that displays the quilts !! not that sounds like a good idea to me !!!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Our's also...the people who do the displays usually know absolutely nothing about the particular art form which they are handling. They crushed my tatted Wedding Crown flat. They (twice) displayed the back of my crochet afghans (one was even the blue ribbon for original design). If you go the fair the very first day it opens, first thing and discover any problems...and report the error, they will fix the problem that evening when public is not viewing the correction. I am SO sorry...it does hurt really, really bad. IT IS A LOVELY QUILT! It will be a treasure in your family. SHOW it again...at your County's Fair. They should be better at displays, since not SO many items to present (hopefully). I am just so very sorry...
Old 07-26-2010, 07:44 PM

What a darling quilt! I especially love the prarie points and lady bug binding!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM

I quit taking my quilts and other handwork to the county fair after they hung a Lone Star quilt over a dirty pipe. They could have covered it with paper or something but just threw it up there like it was an old rag. Ticked me off royally!