Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt entered at the "un" fair >

quilt entered at the "un" fair

quilt entered at the "un" fair

Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 AM

Very nice quilt. What a shame it wasn't displayed properly. :(
Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Never heard of such a thing! I would definitely put in some feedback to the guild (it's usually a guild) that sponsored the show. Let them know what a terrible idea that was.

BTW - your quilt is darling! Love the colors, the prairie points, the binding, all of it.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM

I think that it is terrible to fold of the quilts. Who ever had that bright idea is missing a few bulbs in their open for business sign. Like quilting here said, they should have shown at least a portion of the quilt. I am sorry but when I go to a quilt show or craft fair i expect to see what has been entered. It is like entering an art show and having a bunch of the painting wedged next to each other so that all you can see is the side. that is terrible. I would call and very nicely let them have it. I would also have contacted the local news papers and city blogs. just to make sure that next year it doesn't happen again to others.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 AM

Ejudy hit the problem right on the head - the need for volunteers that know and appreciate all the efforts put into items submitted to a fair for judging is imperative. Our local guild volunteer every year to hang and/or display each and every quilt, knitted item, sewn project, crossed stitched, crochet treasure ourselves. We get a real joy out of seeing them up close and finding the proper location in our two buildings so all the visitors will get to admire all the workmanship involved in creating these treasures. We also man the buildings to answer questions, which usually finds us one or two new members every year. This year we are also doing a number of demostrations to help the public better understand the time and effort put into making many of the submitted items for judging. What fun!
Across the nation, many of our parks and fairs are experiencing serious budget cuts and many are closing because of it. If you have the time get involved, volunteer and keep these wonderful family oriented locations and activities going.
I too feel that your quilt and any other submitted item all deserve to be displayed for others to see the art work involved. It was a shame that this didn't happen this time.
My suggestion to you is to see how you can get involved to make a difference so this isn't likely to happen to anyone else. You have first hand knowledge on the sadness it causes.
By the way, your quilt is adorable and I can't imagine why it didn't get some recognition. It got a blue ribbon from many of us, that is for sure.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 AM

I LIKE that. It is soooo cute. My DGD is into lady bugs. She would love it!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:50 AM

Theresa, your quilt is adorable. I love the binding with the prarie points. I am so glad you posted it here where we could all see it and admire the work you put in it. What they did isnt right, sorry it was so disappointing for you. ~ Sandra
Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Just to say in the beginning that I did not have a quilt entered, but was told that the woman who judged the quilts, though a member of a local guild, was not herself a quilter. We had no "best in show" though some of the quilts could have qualified. Hopefully next year she will NOT do the judging.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM

What a darling quilt!!! You did such a fine job in your workmanship, too! :thumbup: I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment and to see how your quilt was "displayed". :(

Like everyone else has replied here, your quilt is so cute, and it is a shame it wasn't more properly displayed. Makes me wonder what I have to look forward to next week when I enter one of my quilts into our county fair for the first time. Guess I'll find out and share here with others afterward.

Keep on quiltin',
Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 PM

They might not know how they messed up unless they're told. If enough people voice their disappointment in the displays, they'll do better next year (hopefully)
Old 07-26-2010, 03:24 PM

Ooh, your quilt is cute and deserved to be seen. I like the prairie points on the edge. Nice touch to the quilt!