Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt entered at the "un" fair >

quilt entered at the "un" fair

quilt entered at the "un" fair

Old 07-26-2010, 04:52 AM

That's very unfortunate. Obviously the people who coordinate the fair aren't quilters or fans of quilts. Sad for everyone who was generous enough to submit a quilt for display, but the real losers are those who come to view the quilts. I wouldn't be brazen enough to unfold one, but I'd sure be tempted!!! Hope they correct this trend in the future!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 AM

I would say that the person in charge of that area of the fair is not a quilter.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:14 AM

Unfortunately, the people who volunteer (and bless their hearts) are not familiar with what should or shouldn't be done. County fairs are not what they used to be which is a big disappointment to us "older folks". A couple of years ago I went to a county fair on the first day, and on display was a jar of spoiled and rotten canned peaches - the FIRST day. Needless to say it spoiled the rest of the day for looking at the exhibits.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 AM

I'm surprised they would fold a quilt for display. I'm guessing space must have been very limited, and it was being done by someone with not much knowledge on sewing, quilting, crafts, etc.

I've worked as a volunteer for our County Fair for over 30 years, and we would be delighted to have so many quilts to not have a place for them. I would suggest a letter or a face-to-face meeting with the Fair Board to make suggestions for better display. And I'm sure they would be delighted to have more volunteers to help set up and watch over the entries. I know we beg to have more volunteers to help with taking entries, displaying,security, etc. A letter to the local newspaper here would not help but probably cause less support at the next fair. As a "Free" Fair we receive no funds from anyone to finance the fair, so it's all done on fund raising and donations.

Your quilt is very cute and well done, I'm sorry it wasn't displayed properly, but hopefully by contacting the Fair Board and making suggestions it won't happen again.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:01 AM

Your quilt is very cute and country like. It gives me an upbeat feeling. I love the colors.
I think it is just a terrible disservice to have the quilts that don't get hung to be folded. That is just awful, I sure would be gripping about it. It is UNFAIR
Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 AM

I am so sad for you. I had something like that happen. first time I entered a quilt in the county fair. they folded in quarters it over a rack, with the border not showing. It was a scrapy 9 patch with alternate blocks. but the border was a vine with flowers and leaves appliques. boy they did it wrong.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 AM

PS I love your quilt.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 AM

You made a very nice quilt!! I love it! I wish the person in charge of the quilts knew how much work went into your quilt. Anyone with a delightful quilt needs to have a blue ribbon - you just received one from me! \\\\\\\\\
Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 AM

AND ME, TOO - BLUE RIBBON.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:47 AM

You did a beautiful job and it's a shame people didn't get to see it, and all the others folded up. What's the point of having them "on display" if you can't see them? No sense.