Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$200 to "service" my sewing machine! >

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:46 PM

At our LQS, the standard fees are $59.99 for mechanical and $69.99 for electronic/computerized. Parts are additional or if the repair is extremely time consuming, there might be a small surcharge for extra labor. Most customers go out with a machine that looks and sews like new for $69.99.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:13 PM

They told me it would cost $49.00 to have mine serviced, when they got done the bill was $97.00
Don't take long and you have the price of the machine in repair bills. :(
Old 12-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
hahaha, I swear, anytime I hear getting the machine serviced, I think, rip off!!...all the man does is clean the dust out, oil if needed and check the belts, maybe. I have been sewing on an old singer, a new home janome, brother and now have a used Bernia, for 50 years. I have never taken any machine for service lol.

None of the parts ever got broken ever. I read each manual and see what needs to be done to that particular machine. Some machines don't need oiling. I make sure to remove the top plate and clean under it after so many hours of sewing. I clean out the shuttle area everytime I change the bobbin and so on. all a good machine ever needs is cleaning and or oiling if needed, just read the book and then there is the web. I don't have 200.00 to throw away.

I think I need to start a new business lol. I will service your machine for 50.00 hahahahah
You have been extremely fortunate by not having any parts break or something jam your machine. And you must have extraordinary mechanical abilities.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
Ok, I have a Husqvarna Quilt Desinger I. It wasn't working quite right last week, so I took it to a sewing machine dealer/fabric store.

They did have to replace a few parts, that was $73. Ok, I didn't know I had a problem with those parts, but hey, they are liscensed to work on these machines.

I got the bill yesterday when I picked up my machine, and it was $200 just to "service" it! That means the yearly cleaning! The receipt said clean and labor, oiling internal parts and checking the belts.

I think that is way too much! It took them less than a day to have it ready for me to pick up. If I would have known it was going to cost $200 for the servicing, I would have never taken it to be fixed.

I am over reacting or does this seem kind of a high price to you? Thanks for any replies. I just needed to vent.
Joan, I paid $130 last year to have my Pfaff sewing machine serviced. I live in the Philadelphia area.

I think we are all paying more for everything, whether it's an item or a service.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:29 PM

I had my old Kenmore serviced a couple months ago. Was 55 dollars and the man came to my home and did it!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:38 PM

Just remember from now on to 'let your fingers do the walking' (remember that old slogan?) and call around to get quotes.

I have a Janome6500 and a couple of years ago it was only $85 to get it serviced, now it is $125. LOL, I like the old price better and I didn't like it back then.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 PM

To have my Bernina serviced was over $150. That was one reason I sold it.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM

I can understand thinking that you could repair the machine yourself, but...please remember that opening a computerized machine will void your warranty. Most machines have a full 1 year warrenty, but also have a longer limited warrenty on failure of parts. I don't like to pay big money to have my machines fixed, either, but, I don't know what I'm doing when I'm looking at my machine innards.

Originally Posted by dlquilts
Just had the same problem with getting my machine worked on. I took it in May for its annual cleaning and that cost me 185.00, then 92 days later it stopped sewing, took it back they said the timing was out 90.00 then 2 weeks later it was squealing and it sounded like it wanted to seize up...they had it for 3 weeks and said they couldn't find out why, so they oiled and checked the belts another 26.00 bench charge. You are right, they have you coming and going. Thinking about learning how to repair machines myself!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 PM

My repairman cleaned, oiled, reset the tension and got the squeak out of my Viking (someone thought it might be bearings going out luckily not!) all for $35.00. He cleaned,oiled,reset tensions,sharpened the blade, and rethreaded my serger for $45.00. Sure glad we have him.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:20 PM

Now I am worried! I have to take my Janome computerized machine in for an adjustment! The guy I bought it from serviced t and didn't get the touch pad back in the proper place. He doesn't undertand what the problem is, and he is no longer an authorized dealer. (Closed his shop several years ago!) I plan to take it to the shop tomorrow! Wish me luck!