LAND Lines

Old 08-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by cwessel47
I think it would be really interesting if everyone who has posted here, edited their reply to include their age. I'm betting that those of us who still have land lines are the old fogies. I'm 58.
will be 57 next month...keeping land line :thumbup:
Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

and i am in my 50's- my mom & her husband are in their 70's and have now decided to give up theirs too- they use their cel phones more than the house phone- and look forward to that bill going away...
we have been without ours for 2 years next month- nope- don't miss it a bit-
at first it was a little weird to come home and head for the answering machine- but that ended pretty quick. my youngest brother and his wife gave up theirs over 5 years ago--
i guess if you would rather not always be reachable- and wanted to just check the machine=== but then it's easy enough to shut off the phone & let calls go to voice mail- so---
nope- i really do not miss that bill at all!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:02 PM

We both have a cell phone, but keep our landline because cell reception isn't the best and it's sometimes hard to have a clear conversation, especially with someone who is hard of hearing or in a noisy environment. Our landline is tied to our cable service so the caller's ID shows up on the television when a call comes in. That is really nice for screening calls, especially now that another election is coming up next year; i.e., NH holds the first primary and we get gobs of politic related phone calls, to the point of being obnoxiousness! Love democracy but the process can get ridiculous!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

The security system in our house needs a land line.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 PM

I'm 71 and will never give up my land line. Love having the phone when the electric is out. My cell is in my purse and used for when-I'm-not-home emergencies only. Couldn't even tell you what the number is.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:42 PM
SMR

Would like to get rid of land line because of expense,but its tied to my heart monitor which is read nightly so I have to keep it.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Got rid of my land line, but replaced it with "Magic Jack". You use your regular land line type phones, but it works on your computer (usb port) it cost maybe $40 to start up and $20 a year....YES I said $20.00 PER YEAR. You do have to have your computer ON for it to work, but we have limited cell phone service in our area and going outside to get better service isn't always convenient. So now we have a home phone without a huge monthly bill. I am completely satisfied with the MAGIC JACK. Check it out online, or BEST BUY is where I bought mine.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:00 AM

We have one but no one calls on it and we never make calls on it. We have keep it only for our fax line. It is bundled with our internet and cable.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Our cell phones are separate and several hundred a month. Each phone is unlimited data. Our land line bill is $30 a month. Land line is the cheapest monthly bill we have, cost less then the newspaper bill.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:03 AM

We have done without a landline and now have one again. We don't use it often, but I like to have it. I have had the same cell phone number for over 5 years and it is a VA area code. I now live in MA and had so much trouble with pizza delivery's (I know major issue, right?) using my number. My fiance has to work from home some times so it is nice to have the landline for that since he can be on for hours. It's also cheaper for international calls which he makes a few of each month. It is all part of our package (phone/cable/internet) and it's cheaper to keep it for that package. I hate the cost of of all of it though - I spend over $350/mth for cell and home (I have 5 lines on my cell w/3 iPhones so it is pricey).

My thing is if I need to dial 911, I want them to find me quickly!!!!