Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did I get myself into?? >

What did I get myself into??

What did I get myself into??

Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by LoupEsprit View Post
I think I should clarify things a bit:

I work for a private preschool, not a free/public one. My boss (the director) had a HUGE box of 'fun' fabric stash that she bought when she was going to learn how to sew, then decided sewing wasn't her thing. So supplies are covered from her pocket.

As for the Art teacher: I AM the art teacher; I'm not assisting one. What she is doing as far as time is having me do some late-start days and log my time sewing at home and she will pay me.

What we decided on is this: I will take the fabric in and let the children pick their fabrics. I'll come home and make the rugs, but not do the 'decorative' stitching. I'm going to bring in my machine (or she still has the Bernina that she bought to learn on) and let the kids help me finish them. (One-on-one with each child, having them help me feed the rugs through the machine for quilting). Then I will use fabric paint to help the children make handprints on each rug. We'll attach a poem, biscotti and tea-bag to each and the kids will give them to the moms.

Obviously, if they are too rambuctious (or some of the younger kids) they will only help with some of the quilting, not all of it (for safety reasons). But this way the moms will get something functional, made with help from their child.

I'm just going to do simple rugs, one piece for front, one for back, using the 'birthing' method.

Sorry if there was some confusion... we've gone back and forth about how much to involve the kids. For me it isn't about whether she is paying me 'enough' for my time; I'm just happy to bring one of my hobbies in to use at my workplace, and expose the kids to a new type of art - one that isn't just paper and glue and crayons.
Ooooh! Now I read this! Ok, have fun!

By the way, public schools are not "free" schools. At least not the last time I checked my taxes. We all pay for them.
Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 04-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM

Sandy,

My apologies; I do realize that public schools come out of our taxes. What I was saying was more toward those implying parents might not like the use of their funds, and simply wanted to point out that when touring the school, they are shown examples of the types of projects that the children do, and are fully aware of how their tuition is put to use.

The parents are generally satisfied, because their children are doing actual curriculum at the school, not just playtime and coloring all day like some of the schools. Knowing the parents there (and having my own son going there) I do feel it is something they will appreciate getting.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 PM

Is your boss paying for the materials and your time? This is a lot of work, unless you just take a couple of fabrics, sandwich them together with some batting, sew a grid with 62 squares and cut them out.

Even that is a lot of work and time consuming.

Whatever happened to making handprints plaster of paris? Kids love to do it and, as a parent, I loved to get them.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 PM

There is no such law. But it is a lot of work and if the boss isn't willing to pay for the time, work and materials, then the boss shouldn't ask for it. LoupEsprit doesn't say whether the boss is paying or not, so we can't know.

However, if the boss is not paying for the work, the boss put the mother/aide in a precarious position with this request - damned with doing it every year she works there if she does it once, and doubly damned if she doesn't because she can be considered uncooperative by her boss and fired.

That is the only true problem I see with the request, and I only consider it a problem if the boss isn't willing to pay for the work.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
.................doesn't say whether the boss is paying or not, so we can't know............ etc.....................

............... and perhaps if you would read the posts in this thread,
then perhaps you would have written two different posts?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:56 AM

Yes, she is paying for materials AND time. And she offered to bring her own machine in for me to sew on at school, or bring it home to use if I don't want the wear and tear on my own machine. (Her Bernina is much nicer than my Brother, I'm sure! - for those that missed it, she has a ton of fabrics and a machine, because she intended to learn to sew. But she got really frustrated and gave up, but still has all of the stuff.)

Also, as an update; our school has an open house coming up in June. I offered to throw together a baby quilt to donate so we can raffle it (since we are going to start taking 1-2 year olds) She said she will BUY one from me, instead of me donating it, and she also wants me to set up a booth showing my baby quilts, boo-boo pillows, etc. that I make to sell. (We are allowing kid-oriented businesses to set up tables during the open house).