Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Select your Stars - Signup Closes Nov 6 2010 >

Select your Stars - Signup Closes Nov 6 2010

Select your Stars - Signup Closes Nov 6 2010

Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Ok all, just completed my 12 Pat's Blocks in blues white and silver. Will send to Deb on Tuesday. Will try to post pictures on Tuesday. I am glad I didnt choose one of the other Stars with all the little pieces. I "un"sewed more on the 1st star than I have in a long time. However, once I figured out the pattern, it went well. I just had a problem understanding the instructions at one part which created a real problem for me. DUH !
Old 10-17-2010, 05:17 PM

The thing you have to remember, we were all beginners at one time and we all know the apprehension you feel. The only way to get better is to challenge yourself and not give up. I have "un"sewed more patterns than I care to remember, but it made me a better quilter. Am I the best, probably not, but I love what I do and it gives me a sense of pride and completion when I see the quilt in the hands of its new owner. They don't look to see if every stitch is perfect, they just wrap themself in it and enjoy it.
I don't quilt for competitions, I quilt for the love of quilting. That one imperfection that you don't catch and correct makes it a "One-Of-A-Kind" gift.

Originally Posted by sewhappy30
Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Originally Posted by homecaregiver
I have printed off the pattern and have gotten a couple pieces of fabric ready but that is all. Seriously have to get moving on this. All the blocks I have seen on here look absolutly beautiful, and hoping mine will look that way also. We will see.
Please, all of you, remember that this swap is open to EVERYONE OF ALL SKILL LEVEL. Yes, it is a specific pattern with specific colors. Directions are complete and concise. Yes, we do have beginners who are trying to gain skill. Yes, we do have intermediate and advanced quilters. Everyone of us started at the same place. As a quilting family, encourage, encourage, encourage and praise........

Thanks for your kind words, I have been watching this swap and would love to participate, but I consider myself a beginner and would not want to disappoint anyone with my blocks. I need to have more confidence in myself.

I have even went as far as printing off a pattern for Carolyn's Star. It looked pretty simple.

I'm going to the fabric store this weekend and taking the pattern with me, if I can get up my nerve I'm going to make one first before I committ to the swap, but if it turns out I'm going to jump in and hope for the best. I think I still have plenty of time to get them done before the deadline.

Again thank you for the encouragement and for me realizing that things don't have to be perfect as long as I do my best. The only way to learn is...to just do it.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by pattis47
Ok all, just completed my 12 Pat's Blocks in blues white and silver. Will send to Deb on Tuesday. Will try to post pictures on Tuesday. I am glad I didnt choose one of the other Stars with all the little pieces. I "un"sewed more on the 1st star than I have in a long time. However, once I figured out the pattern, it went well. I just had a problem understanding the instructions at one part which created a real problem for me. DUH !
I found the instructions confusing in parts too, but once I had made the first one they went a lot smoother from there. I also found laying out the pieces in their rows really helped.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:11 PM

Thanks Kristen, I thought I was the only one that was having problems. I was so frustrated, I was ready to throw in the towel and say "No Way". Finally decided to try one more time. I laid out the pieces to form the picture of the quilt and sewed it together that way. Instructions just didnt get through to me. Once I got the strips together piecing the strips went fast. Also squareing up the blocks helped the assembly too.

Originally Posted by kristen0112
I found the instructions confusing in parts too, but once I had made the first one they went a lot smoother from there. I also found laying out the pieces in their rows really helped.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:14 PM

Thanks Kristen, I thought I was the only one that was having problems. I was so frustrated, I was ready to throw in the towel and say "No Way". Finally decided to try one more time. I laid out the pieces to form the picture of the quilt and sewed it together that way. Instructions just didnt get through to me. Once I got the strips together piecing the strips went fast. Also squareing up the blocks helped the assembly too.

Originally Posted by kristen0112
Yes, exactly! Squaring up was a must on this block.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:10 PM

Deb,
Can I change my star?? I made 6 this weekend and I HATE them. :oops:
Old 10-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltwoman
Deb,
Can you post a photo? I bet we won't hate them :-)
Old 10-18-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by quiltwoman
Deb,
Why is it that you hate them? if you can post, please do, we all want to see what the problem is.
PLEASE, remember, we swap because we love to, it is not a competition! This is the way we all get better. If you really want to change, of course you may. I know the directions may seem confusing for these stars, but as you can see, lay it out and it goes much better.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Deb here is my completed star. Need your address to send them to you

Pat's Star 2010 from Valley of the Sun
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107393[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-107388.jpe  
Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 PM

Deb here is my completed star. Need your address to send them to you
It's beautiful!