Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Idea - Inexpensive Cutting Table >

Idea - Inexpensive Cutting Table

Idea - Inexpensive Cutting Table

Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

I used a bathroom vanity I found at a yard sale for a dollar. It had drawers on one side and 2 doors on the other. I had a drawer handle on the drawers that would just hold a pair of scissors. DH put a back on the cabinet with some paneling. Since it lacked height, he put together a frame out of ply wood with casters for it to move around. He put on locking casters so it would not roll if I wanted. Then he rigged a frame for the top so it would not sag. Then DH used smooth dense particle board he varnished for a top. The particle board is smoother than strand board. You can get particle board with a rounded edge too. He put one piece of the particle board on the top then he hinged a piece to the back of the cabinet. There were fold up legs so it would set level. Then we attached an ironing board end to one end of the cabinet it had a leg hinged on it, too. This all folded out huge and stored pretty tight. We were not able to move it with us during our move. I think I like the idea of the top to be a surface I can iron on for next time.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:14 AM

Just love all the sewing rooms.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:24 AM

Nice work space!! I am jealous.....especially of the big TV! Hahaha!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 AM

Nice Room! What is OSB?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 AM

Love your spacious sewing area. You are a very organized and pay attention to detail by the looks of what you have accomplished, great job.

Mirrors bring in a lot of light, and we also replaced our neon tubes with tubes called "daylight", now it is just like being outside in the bright sunshine, when I'm in my sewing room.

Whenever I get feeling a little tired during the day, can walk into that room, and voila I'm totally awake again, gives me a boost of energy to go for a longer time.

Thanks for sharing all your pics, they are lovely to look at.

Highly recommend those bulbs, and they are also available in lightbulbs.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
We recently moved into a house that had a 50's kitchen. We remodeled it and I was fortunate enough to rescue the old kitchen island.

I then bought a piece of damaged OSB board from my hardware store for $10 and secured it to the top of the island. After that I purchased a large cutting mat from Joann's when they were having their 50% sale and created a cutting board at the perfect height. :)

The other bonus....STORAGE under the cutting board. I store my serger, books, and other notions under there keeping my stations nice and tidy.

Craigslist and the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store are a good place to find old kitchen island for little to no money. I searched for on in my area and found one for $25.

For my NEXT project this weekend I want to make my own ironing board so it can accomedate a full width of fabric. So I'm going to make one with OSB - Batting - and Canvas. And it can easily sit on top of my cutting station. Space saver AND time saver now that I will be able to iron more cloth at once. :)
Looks GREAT.. what is OSB ? I paid a small fortune for that cutting table at joanns and it is always wobbly ;(
Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 AM

:-D Great idea. My husband has a pool table and when he does not use it (which is most of the time. ;-) he covers it with plywood and then I cover it with a sheet. Bingo! I have a great table to cut on and it is just the right height.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 AM

I like your ideas. My friend made a dual usage one by putting a piano hinge so she could drop one side. It had legs to prop up for extra support. I like the idea of the extra storage you have. Looks like you have plenty of space in your room. Jan
Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

OSB is oriented strand board - you can also get particle board
Particle board is smoother and denser. OSB is kind of glued up wood chips
Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 AM

A man cave any smart woman would envy :wink: