Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Jo Anne's closing >
  • Jo Anne's closing

• Jo Anne's closing

Old 09-29-2010, 05:20 AM

When I am buying online I find that if I enlarge the picture of the fabric I get a truer idea of the colors. Then I more that picture over and open the next and put them side by side. That way I can make sure they match.
    Old 09-29-2010, 05:47 AM

I hope all Joann's close. I call them Junk Shops. The one in my town you can hardly get through the isles for all the junk. Hancocks is almost the same except their isles are wider. Both have cheaper grade fabrics too. I don't like chain stores for fabric much prefer a LQS.
    Old 09-29-2010, 06:06 AM

Daisy I heard they are going to open a JoAnn Super Store in Sugarland. I'm in Tomball so I'm not sure how far you are from Richmond but there is a wonderful QS there.
    Old 09-29-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by PKWard
    Okay...I was just at Joann's in Sugar Land, so I asked them. They are moving into the old Circuit City space in the shopping center with Lowe's, Toys R Us and Academy. They will be liquidating their current location in February and re-opening at the new location in March...YAY!!! She said more fabric, more crafts, a framing area and room for classes. It's a Super Joann's. :)
    That's what we were told also ... ANY place new & larger will be a GREAT improvement, the current strore is so small & outdated. Super nice Mgr & staff there too, they are the only reason I still go there ! :)
    Old 09-29-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by sewgray
    Daisy I heard they are going to open a JoAnn Super Store in Sugarland. I'm in Tomball so I'm not sure how far you are from Richmond but there is a wonderful QS there.
    I really like the Richmond shop too. We also have Quilters Emporium (in Stafford on 59) and Little Stitches at the Township in Missouri City. Both are really nice shops & great staff
    Quilters Emporium was just featured in the BHG Quilt Sampler Top 10 Shops - if you haven't seen it yet :)
    Old 09-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by quilter41
    I hope all Joann's close. I call them Junk Shops. The one in my town you can hardly get through the isles for all the junk. Hancocks is almost the same except their isles are wider. Both have cheaper grade fabrics too. I don't like chain stores for fabric much prefer a LQS.
    You have a point on LQS, they are great for classes and specifice needs for quilters. The prices just aren't affordable for alot of quilters, so the larger stores are helpful. I make alot of quilts for Linus Project and couldn't afford to do many if only bought fabric at LQS.
    Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
    Originally Posted by sewgray
    I really like the Richmond shop too. We also have Quilters Emporium (in Stafford on 59) and Little Stitches at the Township in Missouri City. Both are really nice shops & great staff
    Quilters Emporium was just featured in the BHG Quilt Sampler Top 10 Shops - if you haven't seen it yet :)
    I will have to look them up on the net, still an hour trip each way but would be worth it for two shops and other errands. Thanks TexasGurl!
    Old 09-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Oh, I so agree, I really can't picture material on the computer in
    things I want to make, I have to feel it, move it around see if
    something else goes with it. The fabric shops are hurting and it
    is sad. My dream was to always have my own fabric shop.
    Two have closed in area and it really saddens me. Our Walmart
    too has downsized their fabric area, when word got out that they were getting rid of material, the community was in an panic and
    wrote to the corporate office. So, we still have it but it is limited.
    Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM

We have one JoAnns left in our area. Used to have four. The store remaining is very new, bright and attractive but it seems they are moving further and further away from sewing and more into crafts. Never bought much quilt fabric there anyway because we have good quilt shops close by with a great assortment of quality fabric. It was good for home dec though and still has a good amount of that.
    Old 09-29-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
    I don't have a Hancock's or Hobby Lobby anywhere near me and the closest "still open" quilt shop it almost an hr. away.
    The same is true here. Even Joann's is about an hour away. Our Wal Mart does not carry fabric. Our local quilt shop closed. Good thing I have a stash to work from.