Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilts from a lost loved one. >
  • quilts from a lost loved one.

• quilts from a lost loved one.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 PM
    e4

My condolences on your loss.
    What you do with the quilts depends on whether you like the quilts or not. If you like them and would consider using them someday when the pain of seeing them is not quite so immediate, then I would keep them. If you don't like them and wouldn't ever use them, find someone (perhaps in the family) that will appreciate them. The picture quilt is a bit different. It would have no meaning for anyone not in your family. Even if you don't like it, and no-one else wants it today, save it for a while. Just make sure the pictures are marked in some way so that people will know who those pictures are.
    Old 12-30-2010, 11:40 PM

I also agree keep the quilts, put them up for now or you will regret it later.I found my mother in her home almost 3 years ago , I kept serval things and let some go a few which i now regret letting go. Im just now able to use some of her things which were passed down from my grandmother. Mom kept them put away and never used them again. There also were approx. 15 hand made quilt tops in her closet that are about 35 years old i never saw her make a quilt top as far back as i can remember. I put them up and am slowley hand quilting them and passing one onto each child and then grandchildren as i get them finished. If you want the quilts keep them, use them, and treasure them then pass them on to those that will care for them when you no longer need them.
    Old 12-31-2010, 12:24 AM

please don`t give them away just yet . time is to short . i promise the pain will ease with time . then you will be able to get out the quilts and cherish them and they will be a great comfort to you .My thoughts and prayers are with you .
    Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
    I would carefully store them. You will know when the time is right you will know what you want to do with them. Give yourself some healing time before you make any decision about them. Just my thoughts....
    I wholeheartedly agree. Give yourself permission to put all major decisions on hold. Taking permanent action prematurely may be regrettable later. Yes, store them unopened until you're ready to keep or pass them on to someone who will treasure your hearts work.
    Old 12-31-2010, 12:26 AM
    Power Poster

I would carefully store them. You will know when the time is right you will know what you want to do with them. Give yourself some healing time before you make any decision about them. Just my thoughts....
    My thoughts exactly....sorry for your loss.
    Old 12-31-2010, 12:50 AM
    Jim

Marmie...putting them away till you can bear the memories is a good thing....my avatar is a quilt I made from Dad's shirts. I couldnt bear to work on it for 6 yrs, finally one day I took them out and carefully cut them apart. I shed many tears over them but the best part of it all was all the memories. I had to pass the quilt on to my sister as I felt she needed it to help deal with his death..I gave it to her this year for her birthday..which was 2 days before the 7th anniversary of his death. She told me just last night how much it means to her to have something of his to hold and comfort her when she needs a bit of his memory
    Old 12-31-2010, 05:07 AM

I don't have a similar story but I would advice you to hold on to them and love them as you did your Mother

.....using them will bring back the warmth of having her near

......I lost my Mom so many, many years ago but still have small momentums of her and they bring back such good thoughts.
    Old 12-31-2010, 05:10 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Marmie
    thankyou. I guess it's to soon.My daughter has a cedar chest.Maybe she would keep them for me for a while.
    I am sorry for your loss! Everyone is right though, that you should take and store them. HOWEVER, DO NOT store them in a cedar chest, unless you put them into acid free tissue & or boxes first! The oils in the cedar wood will turn them yellow, even if they are not touching it..it puts off fumes you can not see, but you can smell them...we love the smell of cedar, but it is deadly to living cotton fibers!
    Old 12-31-2010, 05:40 AM

Lot of good advise, store them now and decide later. Sorry for your lose
    Old 12-31-2010, 06:09 AM

Made several quilts for a friend who lived in another state. She died suddenly and her dil asked which quilts I'd like back...suggested three if no one else wanted them. She send back two and the one I really, really wanted I got back...double wedding ring! Right now it's in my bedroom and still looking for a place to hang it. If I don't find a special place, will bring it into the tv toom and use it. Joan used it and so will I.