Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
discouraged >

discouraged

discouraged

Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Wow...I just read some of the posts people sent your way. What a GREAT bunch of quilters there are on this site. They make you feel like you can do anything and btw....you can. Just do it...it will be lots of fun!

Originally Posted by Babes
Iwant to quilt. I started a quilt and put it aside as i read a book on making squares and i was off track. Now i have started just a block. i cannot afford the classes in my area and do not have any friends that do crafts. What is with all of this ironing seams this way and that? i read the board every day.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 PM

You can also YouTube quilt lessons for some instructions.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Baby Steps Babes!
Don't get discouraged! There is a lot of free information out there!
We are always here to help!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:26 PM

Are there any quilt programs on TV in your area?

Eleanor Burns is on the RFD channel and you might want to check for Fons and Porter and America Sews with Sue. I have DISH TV so those are the programs currently running.

As the other members have suggested, Google quilt tuts or just check out the tutorials the wonderful members have posted here! Give it a little time and you'll find yourself wondering just what it was that you thought was so complicated! :thumbup:
Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 PM

Do you have any local quilt guilds? You can join or go as a 'guest' and see if they offer classes by the members. They are usually quite inexpensive compared to JoAnns or a quilt shop.

That is where I learned how to make my first quilt, a baby size quilt. It was a simple 9 patch with contrasting color fabrics. The class showed us how to measure, use a rotary cutter, iron, assemble in rows and how to baste using a spray basting. Also learned how to figure out how to measure for binding etc.

I think I paid $5 for the class about 7 yrs ago, the guild now charges $10 for a 6hr class. What a deal!

Please don't be discouraged.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM

Oh and I heartily agree... youtube is a wonderful resource for tutorials on quilting.

Personally I am a visual learner and understand and learn better watching a video than reading a book.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 PM

Don't be discouraged! We do all get that way sometimes over various things we're having trouble with, but stay with it. You should see some of my first quilts! But I just laugh and say that they were my "learning quilts." You can't learn everything all at once anyway, so make a goal to learn a few things at a time.
Check your tv schedule; there are several quilt programs offered. Check at your grocery store or Wal-Mart; they have magazines to teach various things at differing levels of quilting. Check eBay to see if you can win a good basic book on quilting.
Join a quilt guild. Best of wishes to you!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Don't give up, it often takes more than a few attempts before you feel like you have finally achieved a quilt worth finishing, I just kept going, now I have been quilting for 28 years, but I still check out tutorials online for new ideas :lol:
Old 01-08-2011, 09:27 PM

Help, I'm lost! I'm somewhat new to the Quilting Forum AND my internet connection is very iffy at times, and some how, between those two things and the fact that I'm electronically challenged......

Well, a couple of weeks ago I read where someone had said something like "let's set up a mentoring program". I can't remember if it was to try to hook up people in certain areas or only an on-line thing. Considering my computer skills I was sort of hoping to find some one locally. [I MUST join a group!]

Can anyone guide me to the right forum? I've scanned them, but haven't recognized the one I'm referring to.

Sierra
Old 01-08-2011, 11:07 PM

welcome, take advantage of the on line lessons and tuts on the board. wish all this info had been available when i started. learned by trial and error. needless to say my seam ripper is my best friend