Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why >

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM

I'd love to be able to send all of mine out for quilting but it's just not in my budget right now.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Well, I don't do either. I don't have the ability with my machine to quilt large projects. I tried hand quilting, but, the stitches on the back don't look the same as the front.
I tie all my quilts. To send them out would be too costly for me
Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I just wonder if more people send there quilts out than those that quilt themselves! I just can't send mine out, but I maybe I am missing something! So I am curious as to why!
I am just beginning to get into the FMQ. The largest one I have done is 70 x 70. It depends on the depth of the throat on your machine. I wouldn't do any bigger one on mine. But I have heard of people doing kings and queens but not me thank you.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 AM

both, my sister has a LA now and if I get behind on my quilting I send some tops home with her to quilt for me. If I can do simple SITD across the rows by machine then I like to go back and hand quilt in each block. I am one of those who likes to do both machine and hand quilting in the same quilt.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Up until a few days ago, I hand quilted all of mine (hence the reason I have so many tops!). I sent my first one out to a friend to be FMQ. The reason behind this is because I really am not sure I even like the top and I personally had no interest in quilting it, so thought I would give this a try & a) see if I even like the look of the FMQ and b) if I would like the quilt any better. If not, I will give it away. :)
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Are you happy with the Gammill? What size do you have? I've been looking and there are so many. Gammill is one of the few I've heard no complaints about. Send me a PM if you don't want to go into it here. Thanks

Originally Posted by DianaSwi
I did send mine out until I got my own Gammill..most of my quilts get used so I wanted a nice over all pattern-
Tranquil Quilting
http://tranqquilt.angelfire.com
Old 01-18-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I just wonder if more people send there quilts out than those that quilt themselves! I just can't send mine out, but I maybe I am missing something! So I am curious as to why!
I do all my own because I can't afford to pay for someone else to do it.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 AM

I send mine to a longarmer. My FMQ is not good enough and I'm not comfortable doing it, so after all the $$ invested in the quilt-top I want it to look good!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by kateyb
I do my own quilting.
The reasons are:
1. I want to have the control of the quilting.
2. I want to learn FMQ and get better at it.
3. I don't have money in my budget to pay someone.
I have done a king size quilt on my home sewing machine. (Maybe sheer determination.)
Sheer determination, definatly. Almost four years ago I actually quilted my first quilt on my home sewing machine. It was a full sized quilt, but the top was made out of denim. Very heavy.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM

If it is an art quilt I plan to hang on the wall, I quilt it myself no matter the size. If it is a more traditonal/pieced quilt I plan to use on a bed or hang on a quilt rack, I usually send it to a long-arm quilter - I enjoy making the top but don't enjoy wrestling with the quilt under the machine and she does gorgeous work.

I guess my "philosophy" is I'm not as concerned about the entire quilt from start-to-finish being 100% "my" work if it is going to be on a bed or folded up. I do care if it's one of my art quilts as those are more often seen by people to "oohh and aah" over when they come to my house...I want those to be all my work including the quilting which is usually something a longarmer wouldn't do anyways with all the "stuff" I add to my art quilts, LOL.

Tanesha