Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue? >

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 PM

I wonder the same thing. The first quilt I ever attempted on my own came out of a book. It told me to cut tons of little strips. I didn't check the math and it was wrong. One strip was cut 1/4" to short. When I called my grandma she couldn't believe that I cut all of those strips instead of strip quilting it. So that quilt is still in a bag not finished because I got so frustrated with it and the strips being to short. That was the first and last time I followed instructions out of one of those books.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 PM
RST

Bev -- I understand making a choice to approach a hobby in a very traditional way, and I've never criticized anyone's informed choice to make a quilt in whatever way they prefer. I too have made quilts every step by the old-fashioned way. It can be fun, though I might be still on quilt #2 today. With rising fabric prices, maybe going back to slow-stitching would be a good way to save ; )

Going back to my original post -- The quilters whose work triggered my questions are not setting out to be "authentic" or traditional. They tend to be "modern" quilters, they use rotary cutters to cut their hundreds of squares, they use machines to piece them. They just are apparently not choosing (not knowledgeable about?) a fairly well established technique that would make the process faster, and my most people's account, easier and more accurate.

Samsews -- I am sorry that you and your mother have taken offence to my posts. I'm not sure what was rude or disrespectful in your mind. I don't tend to take offense from other people's questions or perceptions, and by the same token, I am certainly not setting out to offend anyone else.

I would assume (possibly wrongly) that people are confident enough in their own skins to be able to answer a technique question (falls into the realm of ideas and concepts) without feeling personally attacked. I think overall the thread has been interesting and informative. Clearly, several people in fact did not know about strip piecing, and they may actually find they prefer to look into and use that method. Others have given solid personal reasons why they prefer to use piece at a time construction, which is also interesting and food for thought.

Again, sorry to hear you find me offensive, but I really don't see anywhere in my posts where I have been disrespectful or rude. As a matter of fact, I'm inclined to think that if we were sitting side by side at a quilting get together, we'd have a grand old time chatting. Possibly it's the nature of internet communication, with the lack of voice inflection and body language, which is leading you to read my tone awry?

Have a good day--
RST
Old 02-13-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
Okay, I need to ask you ladies, and forgive me for the ignorance! but is the strip quilting cutting strips of material and sewing them together. I have seen some patterns like this and didn't understand what they were talking about and didn't try them. So if you will please explain this to me.. and the patterns were so pretty! And is it easier? quicker?

simple?
thanks
I learned it a long time ago with the quilt in a day books and her show. Look at the trip around the world book. That was the first quilt I made. Honestly if a quilt pattern says cuts hundreds of squares, I am making something else.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom
you make a good point. IMO starting out by learning the shortcuts is not always a good thing. If you get the basics down you can figure out the best way to do it for you. what is the easiest way for me may not be for you. We all learn in different ways. some people need to see how things are done step by step in order to feel confident.
I would go to my great-grandma's with my mom to quilt with her and she always told us to not rush when we made a quilt,and to always put love in every stitch. That's what my mom does and that's how she taught and how she is still teaching me. My great-grandfather made mom a plaque for her quilting room that says,"Quilting is like a trip.It doesn't matter how fast you get there if you don't take your time to appreciate getting there and learning something at the end ." I have not rushed through making a single quilt and I won't,ever.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Here is another philosophy with 2 valid schools of thought:

1) Finished is better than perfect; and
2) Finishing is overrated.

Merits to both, and some days I'm in with the first, and other days it's the second.

It does not have to be an either/or resolution.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank
Does it really matter how you do it as long as the method is the one you prefer? I do not think that strip piecing suits the needs of a hand piecer but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone will enlighten me. I enjoy cutting my fabric----but then I have never cut 1000 1 inch squares either.
The tradional method is one that I prefer.I have never cut 1000 1" squares either. But last month I did cut 3000- 2" squares for a quilt that was ordered.The recipient was a lovely 80 year old woman.Her 4 daughters gave me their wedding gowns to cut up for it and chose the "trip around the world" pattern. She enjoyed watching the Geographic channel and they wanted to give her and their father a real trip around the world but couldn't afford to. They gave me a dvd of the anniversary party and everyone in the room was crying when that beautiful lady opened her quilt. So for the quilters that choose to sew fast and knock one out in 2 or 3 hours,go ahead. I'll keep doing mine the tradional way.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by RST
Bev -- I understand making a choice to approach a hobby in a very traditional way, and I've never criticized anyone's informed choice to make a quilt in whatever way they prefer. I too have made quilts every step by the old-fashioned way. It can be fun, though I might be still on quilt #2 today. With rising fabric prices, maybe going back to slow-stitching would be a good way to save ; )

Going back to my original post -- The quilters whose work triggered my questions are not setting out to be "authentic" or traditional. They tend to be "modern" quilters, they use rotary cutters to cut their hundreds of squares, they use machines to piece them. They just are apparently not choosing (not knowledgeable about?) a fairly well established technique that would make the process faster, and my most people's account, easier and more accurate.

Samsews -- I am sorry that you and your mother have taken offence to my posts. I'm not sure what was rude or disrespectful in your mind. I don't tend to take offense from other people's questions or perceptions, and by the same token, I am certainly not setting out to offend anyone else.

I would assume (possibly wrongly) that people are confident enough in their own skins to be able to answer a technique question (falls into the realm of ideas and concepts) without feeling personally attacked. I think overall the thread has been interesting and informative. Clearly, several people in fact did not know about strip piecing, and they may actually find they prefer to look into and use that method. Others have given solid personal reasons why they prefer to use piece at a time construction, which is also interesting and food for thought.

Again, sorry to hear you find me offensive, but I really don't see anywhere in my posts where I have been disrespectful or rude. As a matter of fact, I'm inclined to think that if we were sitting side by side at a quilting get together, we'd have a grand old time chatting. Possibly it's the nature of internet communication, with the lack of voice inflection and body language, which is leading you to read my tone awry?

Have a good day--
RST
It wasn't your lack of voice inflection and body lanuage or internet communication. It was the constant underlying thread of superiority that existed in all of your threads. Quilters should respect each other.I read my Mom's posts each day at work and she never had a bad word to say about any quilter on this board.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 AM
RST

Well, alrighty, Samsews. Not quite sure how your mom plays into this thread, but she sounds like a very nice lady.

You have a nice day.

I'm off to make a quilt in which roughly 50% of the stitches are done without love. And which nobody will cry over. Works for me ; )

RST
Old 02-14-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by samsews
Originally Posted by RST

Have a good day--
RST
It wasn't your lack of voice inflection and body lanuage or internet communication. It was the constant underlying thread of superiority that existed in all of your threads. Quilters should respect each other.I read my Mom's posts each day at work and she never had a bad word to say about any quilter on this board.
Samsews:
I have read every post written on this thread and my personal feeling is that the entire subject was/has been discussed to the nth degree and taken completely out of context. I have not been able to detect any "thread of superiority" from RST, in fact, she has been more than respectful to all responses. She simply posed a question. I certainly never thought this thread would require 8 pages and still be a hot topic 7 days later.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Administrator

This is not a blog. It is a forum; a community; and - we hope - a gathering of friends.

I'm embarrassed by the apparent tone of some comments in this topic. It does not create the best impression of us as a group.

We do bicker from time to time. That's to be expected. But we usually do it with humor and good nature.

Something about this thread is ... disturbing. I agree with those who are unhappy with the direction in which it's been moving.

Back to the fun, please.