Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So whats the facination on collecting buttons? >

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:05 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by quilt crazee
TELL THEM- you gave up button collecting,NOW you collect 100% quilting cotton!! LOL!!-see what you get!!
My family is super supportive of my hobby. My dad even searches for 'quilty' stuff at garage sales and flea markets. Last year he got me over a doz of joannes block of the month kits that someone sold him for $.50 . Yup fifty cents for all of them . Well that's the story he tells me anyway. Lol.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 PM

Now see that IS something I can do and that is collect jars of buttons. I love buttons and don't do a thing with them except pick up a different jar sometimes and just see what I can see. Everything in that jar is unusual and great too look at. Love buttons
Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I am amazed and equally impressed with all you button lovers. I love the stories and fascination you all have with your buttons. I never really thought of allowing my daughter to play with them. Now I have a mommy and me project for the next rainy day ..
Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 PM

I have several different jars of buttons, I just think some buttons are fascinating! never really thought about it. Just have them.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 PM

i love buttons. they are little pieces of people's lives. and i'm guilty of still sewing buttons on stuff, and using the button collection to match them. i have jet buttons that were on my grandmother's dress when she was a teen, back in victorian times. there's a button off my mom's favorite pink apron, a button off my favorite blouse, off my dad's PJs, teeny ones off my baby dresses. they strike a chord in my hands, too--it's a tactile thing. looking in my mom's button tin when i was little was one of my favorite rainy day things to do. there was a smell from the bakeite and celluloid buttons that still reminds me of rainy days and the button tin.

i have bottles from garage sales, my mom's old tin, some i purchased new, others that the grandsons have found and brought to me.and now i have a granddaughter who is four, and just the right age to introduce to the buttons. i think she'll enjoy them as much as she does seashells, fairies, and stickers.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 PM

Yes, I also love buttons. I inherited my husband's grandmothers buttons. She was quite the sewer, and I was the only one that came along that sewed, so I got them all. One idea I saw that I really liked, a large canning jar, bottom drilled to accomodate and electrical cord, a lamp harp added, to hold the top of the lamp shade and bulb, and the canning jar itself, filled with glorious buttons. Too Cute !!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
My family thinks that just because I quilt that I'm suppose collect buttons. So every garage sale, flea market or even from their old shirts and sweater that they find/get they feel the need to give to me? I have spaghetti jars filled with buttons that I have no idea what to do with.. If I have space to store them, Id rather use that space for fabric.. So what gives?

(btw- I will never sew a button back on a shirt.. goes in the laundry to never be seen again)
I wish they thought that about me. I am always looking for buttons; never have enough since I do not have many in the first place.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:59 PM

I love buttons! dont know why, love the colors, the sounds they make rattling around, like to sort them, sew designs w/ them, make them into ornaments. Id put them on quilts, but am afraid, after I gave the quilt away, some kid somewhere would chew one off and choke - sharet
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 PM

I think buttons to us Lady's is like marbles are to the men folks.
They are collected in the same manor I think . I know I love my buttons and have saved them forever as all the lady's in my family has for many many years :-D
Old 04-12-2011, 10:19 PM

I have jars of buttons in my sewing room, also a chest with lots of buttons still on the cards. Just love buttons. Most of the ones in the big jar belong to my MIL and she was born in 1901...