Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it time to call it quits? >

Is it time to call it quits?

Is it time to call it quits?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 PM

If you have taken the seams out and tried to re-sew or pressed several times, I would just re-cut the pieces and start over. The pieces have probably lost the right size.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Also, make sure you use same ruler all of the time. This, interestingly enought can make a difference. Good lick, because even those I do use same suler and cuttinf board, still make mistakes.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 PM

don't give up yet. if one method doesn't work try another one you'll find what works for you. i have trouble with points also and found that when there are points like in stars i use the paper piecing method and those points work out for me. I still shy away from traditional quilts and do more pictury ones instead.good luck in your discovering what works for you. Ravonda
Old 06-20-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Don't be so hard on yourself. It does take some time and practice, but every time you do a project, you'll get a bit better.

As far as perfection - well, it's over rated. I'm not suggesting that you do shoddy work, whether it's for yourself, a swap or a gift. Look at the overall piece, rather than a point or two that is missing or floating when it shouldn't be.

If you really don't think your work is up to par at this point, explain that to the hostess, then use the blocks to make a charity quilt. If you can relax a bit so that you enjoy the process, some day you'll look back and be glad you didn't give up.
i agree completely. also sometimes if you set something aside for a few hours or overnight and come back to it it just suddenly makes sense and comes out right :-)
Old 06-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Banned

Maybe you would like an AccuQuilt cutter? I am loving mine!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM

I'm coming in late-computer problems- I will just add my 2 cents.. Don't give up. Try a differnt pattern. Log cabin is supposed to be the easiest, well my first one is as ugly as they come, and still not done. Just because you made blocks that don't come together doesn't mean you can't quilt. Try a differnt block. Paper piecing can be good too.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM

Don't give up. Tomorrow is another day. I agree Eleanor Burns method of cutting larger and then square up. Takes out a lot of frustration. Good luck. Pin where seams must match
Old 06-20-2011, 05:04 PM

don't give up it takes time & practice to be perfect. Just take your time and ck your work before you cut. It's hard when your doing it yourself and no one in front of you to help. Walk away for a while then go back you'll be ok but don't expect to be perfect the first time. good luck your not alone. Sue
Old 06-20-2011, 05:10 PM

You are being creative in your interpration of the block. You meant for them to be slightly off. A true artist.

Ok, maybe I'm laying it on a little thick, but still call them wonky blocks and have fun.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM

Don't give up! I have been quilting for about 3 yrs & still have trouble cutting accurately. But I have come to realize....even if you are "incorrect/wrong", as long as you are consistently wrong it will be right. Keep trying & be consistent....