LAND Lines

Old 08-23-2011, 05:36 AM

Years ago we decided to keep the landline if only for my husband's overtime calls. It we miss one, we would lose money equal to a year of the landline bill
Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 AM

Buy a car charger for the cell phone so you can keep it charged if your electricity goes down.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 PM

I keep my land line. Make all my local calls on it. Cell phone for all long distance ones. I have 10 'free" numbers and am my son and daughter-in-law plan. Pretty lucky I would say. he pays the bill and I have 300 minutes plus my free ones!
You know I used to live without my cell phone but now if I do not have it with me I feel uncomfortable.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM

I have an unused landline. A just in case. Since I have been through natural disasters, I have quite a few just in cases. I have every kind of back up cell charger including AA battery, extra cell batteries, car, solar... probably more. Oh! I do not have a hand crank phone charger. They're all too flimsy, in my experience.

I have food and water for humans and pets, wind up radio, lighting, ammo, etc. The only things I'm missing are a ham radio and an inoffensive emergency toilet.

In non-zombie apocalypse times, I love my android phone's ability to call free anywhere at any time. Afghanistan is my favorite place right now.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Magic Jack....LOVE IT!!! Pros: cheap, cheap & cheap. Cons: It works through your computer, so computer has to be on all the time. No limits, no long distance ( you do have to prepay for international calls I think) If your power goes off, you may have to restart...kinda like rebooting your computer. We have an all metal house so cell phone reception is not good in the house most of the time. Magic Jack uses your normal phone hooked up to your computer and saves us having to go outside when our cell receiption is not good. (p.s. you can take it with you when you travel)
Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 PM

I still have my landline for 911 purposes. Your cell phone doesn't come up with an address yet (at least I haven't heard that they've fixed this) so if you can't speak the police have to fax a supoenna to the cell provider to get the address which takes several minutes. Those minutes might make a difference between life and death.

I always tell people on cell phones too that if they call 911 on their cell to give their location first in case they can't get anything else out. Then help will know where to go. It takes even longer to triangulate cell towers to find you.

Of course the newer cell phones are coming with GPS already in them but I don't know if a supoenna is needed for that or not.