Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT? >

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:52 AM

It's in my genetic makeup: Grandma was always working on a quilt, and my Mother was an artist with many mediums. The needle is my paintbrush and the fabric is my paint. I love trying new techniques and patterns; experimenting with color; it's also my therapy. I can retreat away from the TV and the chaos of today's environment to solitude and the company of my Quilting Sisters. Plus it's a continuation of history on many levels. It's not just a hobby; more an obsession.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by wuv2quilt
I know that in days gone by making a quilt was often a matter of necessity. You had to keep the family warm, or freeze to death. Frequently, you made do with what was on hand. You didn’t get to go to your LQS, or actually have a “stash”. You did what had to be done in order to provide for your family.
In this day and age most of us don’t HAVE to make a quilt for the necessity of it…we have central heat / air, gas logs, and usually more bed linens they we know what to do with.
This being said, I’d put a quilt on every bed in my home, (I just need to make enough to do that). I LOVE quilts! I enjoy the process of selecting my fabrics, color schemes, design / pattern layout, and most important, (to me), who the quilt is for.

So, WHY do you quilt?

Is it for the love of the craft?

The ability to create what will hopefully be a piece of your family history?

The joy it brings you?

Artistic expression?

So, Why Do You Quilt?
DITTO to all the above
Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 AM

[quote=wuv2quilt] I know that in days gone by ...you made do with what was on hand. You didn’t get to actually have a “stash”. You did what had to be done in order to provide for your family.
So, WHY do you quilt? quote]

Ok, first let me say they DID get to have a stash.
They saved every piece of fabric that was usable or reusable. Feedsacks, leftover fabrics from new clothing, reusable parts of any fabric item available. Stashes contained cotton, linen, wool, velvet, and many other fabrics. Some of the more affluent quilters even purchased Chintz that was imported, and satins and silks leftover from their ball gowns. Not all quiters were dirt poor, but even those who were had their precious stashes! ;o) They not only saved it they traded stash among themselves in the early settlements. ///Two rules in my house... Don't lay a hand on my dogs, or my stash! I will protect both with my very life! LOL

I quilt for serenity, artistic expression and just for fun; and in the process I get to fondle fabric!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by purvissp
It is something I really enjoy doing with my wife. It is the first hobby I have had that we can work together on.

Plus the completed projects take up much less storage space than my woodworking projects.
I love that you and your wife do this together. I would love to see joint projects because they would reflect the 2 of you
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 AM

after reading most of the responses to this question I must add my thoughts......I bet some psychoanalyst would love reading this thread.....I think we are all the type of person who must do something creative/crafty to be satisfied...I know thinking of my own past "hobbies/career choices, they have all been doing something that produced something .....what is that right or left brained????I always get confused about which side is which....
We are a culture to ourselves. I know you know people who when they learn what you do they just say "oh how nice, I would like to do that, but I don't have the time!" - and we all think SURE!!!! when we hear that.....I know this is the longest lasting compulsion I have had, I enjoy this process more than other things I have done......so I will keep doing it as long as I can...
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 AM

after reading most of the responses to this question I must add my thoughts......I bet some psychoanalyst would love reading this thread.....I think we are all the type of person who must do something creative/crafty to be satisfied...I know thinking of my own past "hobbies/career choices, they have all been doing something that produced something .....what is that right or left brained????I always get confused about which side is which....
We are a culture to ourselves. I know you know people who when they learn what you do they just say "oh how nice, I would like to do that, but I don't have the time!" - and we all think SURE!!!! when we hear that.....I know this is the longest lasting compulsion I have had, I enjoy this process more than other things I have done......so I will keep doing it as long as I can...
Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 AM

I usually use commercial patterns, but I just love picking out fabric and seeing it all come together. I love going in to my LQS and just breathing in the smell of all that new fabric, I love the cutting and the sewing. I like using the same pattern with different fabrics. Nothing engages me like this does.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:20 AM

I love quilting because I love FABRIC! It helps me relax.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 AM

I started quilting in order to spend more time with my mom! She is addicted and she was always getting together with her sister to quilt and take classes. I felt a little out in the cold. Lol! I love to craft and do things with my hands anyway, so why not?! I love it! And now I get some good quality time with my mom... we are working on 3 different quilt kits right now!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:25 AM

Gets my creative juices flowing. Keeps my mind active!