Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cat in the store? >
  • Cat in the store?

• Cat in the store?

Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SB13
    A lot of you still are not getting it.....it is their store and their choice, as it is your choice to go elsewhere as well. This country would be so better off, if every one quit trying to run someone else's life. We all have choices....and like someone else said, when you order on line.....you don't know what they have there by their cutting table!
    Actually, I think everyone does get it. No one is suggesting that it should be against the law to have animals in stores. Everyone here is just stating their preference for or against, and those who are against have generally said they just don't shop in stores with animals.

Also, to those who don't like children in their LQS - sometimes the parents don't exactly have a choice in the matter. It probably doesn't usually make sense to get a babysitter just so you can run errands, and unlike a dog or cat, you can't exactly leave a 4 year old home alone. Of course, there is no excuse for letting your kid run rampant through a store, causing damage and annoying others, but that's a parenting issue, not an "all kids should be left home at all times" issue.
    Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by mirish2
    I love almost all critters, but have a DH who is allergic to cats. He often goes quilt shopping with me. A sign on the door would be a great help. If you watch Project Runway, the Mood fabric store, has a dog named "Swatch" and the camera often catches a shot of him.
    I love Swatch! The LA store has one, too, with a super cute name and I can't remember it...
    Old 02-28-2014, 07:08 AM

My Walmart store has disinfectant wipes near the carts so you can sanitize the cart.
    Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 AM

Also, to those who don't like children in their LQS - sometimes the parents don't exactly have a choice in the matter. It probably doesn't usually make sense to get a babysitter just so you can run errands, and unlike a dog or cat, you can't exactly leave a 4 year old home alone. Of course, there is no excuse for letting your kid run rampant through a store, causing damage and annoying others, but that's a parenting issue, not an "all kids should be left home at all times" issue.

Yes, it is reasonable to decide what is essential and necessary if for some reason you have to take your children into town. "Have to visit the quilting store" is a first world problem.

Children are walking petri dishes as their immune systems are developing and that is normal. the distribution of viruses and bacteria by children is phenomenal. The argument made earlier that poop on a counter or grocery cart from a child is really not the issue is correct. It is more the combination of snot, poop, and disease that they distribute. Not to mention children are the most common vector for influenza, colds, CMV, and chicken pox. Though I like the idea of asking the store for "used" pricing when some gnarly brat wipes their snotty face all over the flannel while mom is too busy finding that perfect blender.

If your child or pet is ill behaved, keep them home til you decide to teach them manners and respect for others.

If your child or pet is ill, keep them home to minimize illnesses to other people and pets, as a matter of respect for others.

shop owners have every right to allow or not allow pets inside, and we should apppreciate the freedom to make that choice. With less than 10% of the population having a cat allergy and only 20% of those having any range of allergic asthmatic responses, it is not reasonable to assume that they should or would post signage listing the pet is in the store. If we unduly assign the shop owner to list a pet is inside, then we would also be reasonably requiring them to post a list of all potential allergens within. And that makes a reasonable extension for shop owners to post MSDS sheets for all present and saleable chemicals.

I would love to see how public pet phobic folks would handle living internationally. Don't go into the kitchen my friends......My favorite pub in münchen has a pug with free reign of kitchen and eating area. In Cannes there is a tricolor calico at the bakery who sits on the cash register and talks with you. She sleeps on the bags of flour.
    Old 02-28-2014, 07:55 AM

I am allergic to cats... The "hair" that most think is the allergen is only part of it. Fur is also skin cells and saliva. When you see a cat rubbing its face all over everything it is "marking" the spots with lots of saliva. I like cats and dogs.. While visiting a good friend (with 4 inside cats) I was re-filling her ice cube trays. Guess what I found? CAT HAIR! Washed the trays out and then looked in freezer... YEP! Cat hair in there too. It doesn't matter if you are a spotless house keeper. That old saying about "the fur flies" is correct. It can't be controlled. I always leave her house feeling like I have a cat stuffed down my throat... I also agree that PETS should be left at home... I hate going to a craft fair only to trip over DOG/CAT strollers. Those little dogs always look so embarrassed to be all dressed up in sequins and glitz..... come on people - THESE ARE PETS....... they would rather be home sleeping on their favorite pillow....
    Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 AM
    Power Poster

LQS had her pups there daily. If I saw something I liked, I would buy it and wash it asap
    Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    I am allergic to cats... The "hair" that most think is the allergen is only part of it. Fur is also skin cells and saliva. When you see a cat rubbing its face all over everything it is "marking" the spots with lots of saliva. I like cats and dogs.. While visiting a good friend (with 4 inside cats) I was re-filling her ice cube trays. Guess what I found? CAT HAIR! Washed the trays out and then looked in freezer... YEP! Cat hair in there too. It doesn't matter if you are a spotless house keeper. That old saying about "the fur flies" is correct. It can't be controlled. I always leave her house feeling like I have a cat stuffed down my throat... I also agree that PETS should be left at home... I hate going to a craft fair only to trip over DOG/CAT strollers. Those little dogs always look so embarrassed to be all dressed up in sequins and glitz..... come on people - THESE ARE PETS....... they would rather be home sleeping on their favorite pillow....
    Cat and dog hair gets everywhere, I agree. But that also means that people with pets who go into shops (or work there) are leaving hairs, etc., behind as well.

Dogs don't want to stay home all the time. They are travelers by nature. They want to be exposed to social situations that include other animals and lots of people, good smells and new experiences. I'd never dress up a pet, though I used to pull my very old dog in a wagon so he could continue to experience the world. Not in a terrible crowd though, which is where common sense comes into play.

Although, why is it different having to look for animals loose or in strollers when there are children loose or in strollers all over the place as well? Why does it matter who is in it?
    Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 AM

LOL bringing dogs to sewing group would be as bad as bring toddlers!
    Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM

I just realized something. KQ is my local quilt shop, and I don't think I've ever seen a kid in there. Now i'm not in there every week, but it's usually older women and the occasional long-suffering husband. (Mine always goes in to lug the bolts to the table and order the cutting, and he sticks out a bit.)

JA, otoh, is always full of kids.

hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM
    Power Poster

Depends on the child ( and his /her parens).

There even might be a few kids that enjoy shoppong for adult stuff.

My mom made such a point of " do not touch things" when I was in a store!! It took years for me to get to where I felt comfortable picking up something I was interested in and looking it over before deciding if I wanted to buy it or not!