Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husquavarna Sewing machines >

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Old 07-04-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by josi49
A bobbin genie is a thin washer made out of slippery teflon. It eliminates backlash and bird's nests on the underside of FMQ. I forget to take them out, so they are in my bobbin cases 95% of the time. When I clean by bobbin case after approx. 4-5 hours of sewing & change my needle, if I'm not doing FMQ, then I take it out and pin it to my pincushion. I also use the Free Motion Slider (teflon sheet that fits over the single needle plate for FMQ). I watched Sharon Schamber do a demo in her booth at Paducah in 2008 and have been using both since then. I think there is a dozen in a pack for around $9 or $10; best money I even spent for FMQ! No affiliation, just a huge fan.
Never heard of the bobbin genie, thanks for mentioning it, I see there's some on this site, and I presume alot of shops may carry them.
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/magicgeniewashers.htm
Old 07-04-2010, 08:12 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdo_q0M2rsw
Old 07-04-2010, 08:48 AM

I have a Husqvarna/Viking Sapphire 875Q -bought it new about March 2010. Love it. Only problem I've had is the autocutter scissors don't always work. Sometimes it cuts only the top thread but not the bobbin thread. Took it back to dealer and they replaced the cutter - but it still does it. No problem - I just keep my scissors close. very nice machine.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:54 AM

My scissors do the same thing, and I've just had them replaced for $1.80 when I had my machine serviced. Oh well.... it's nice when it does work.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis
I have a Husqvarna/Viking Sapphire 875Q -bought it new about March 2010. Love it. Only problem I've had is the autocutter scissors don't always work. Sometimes it cuts only the top thread but not the bobbin thread. Took it back to dealer and they replaced the cutter - but it still does it. No problem - I just keep my scissors close. very nice machine.
Some Husqvarnas do not like 2 types of thread, so I was told, it happens all the time for me. Mine does not like the prewound bobbins, difference in weight. I try to put the same thread in top and on the bobbins and now have a lot less trouble. When I am quilting a quilt and want to cut the thread in the center of the quilt it is frustrating for the bobbin not to cut.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 AM

Something I did forget to mention earlier is that I have a second bobbin case I use for thicker threads and also a single needle plate. They were neither one very expensive and have really made a huge difference on my FMQ. Anyone else use an alternate setup?
Old 07-04-2010, 11:11 AM

Something I did forget to mention earlier is that I have a second bobbin case I use for thicker threads and also a single needle plate. They were neither one very expensive and have really made a huge difference on my FMQ. Anyone else use an alternate setup?
I use either 40 or 50 weight threads for machine quilting.
I use my regular bobbin case and the single needle plate. You're right that it makes a huge difference with FMQ. I have my machine in a Horn Quilter's cabinet and that makes quilting much easier.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719uwnqfO

The #2 picture has my Bernina 1031 in the same cabinet and is full shot of my cabinet.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719kFeKjn

Sharon W. in Texas
Old 07-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Wow you sure have a collection of machines!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
Wow you sure have a collection of machines!
A girl's gotta have toys.
:D
Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 AM

Last night I decided to try and figure out that tension once and for all. I had read to not put the machine to quilting with the spring foot but rather to just drop feed dogs and go. I was able to very easily get my tension just right. It went beautifully. Can't wait to get that done again tonight. Makes me want to quilt anything that stands still!