Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husquavarna Sewing machines >

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the info! Charlie
Originally Posted by Hinterland
Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
Anyway, the problem I was having is that the bobbin holder sort of pops out, catching threads.
I have a Sapphire 850. You should be able to sew with a partial bobbin. When you thread the bobbin, make sure you hear a "click" when you pull the thread through the threading slot, and that it's unwinding in the right direction.

There is a Yahoo group devoted to the Sapphire. They have lots of good advice.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dawn Hendrix
I have the 835..... I LOVE MY SAPPHIRE... the only problem I have had was a build up of lint under the bobbin case... didn't realize it could get down in there so deep.
Get in the habit of removing the bobbin case and cleaning under it each time you put in a fresh bobbin.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:17 AM

I bought the 830 about a year ago and love it! I do still reach for the presser foot lever now and then. I never need leaders/enders - it never eats my fabric. That's one of my favorite things about this machine.

I do use the B foot more than the A foot because it's easier to pull the thread to the back with that one due to the tab on the A foot. I didn't like the R foot and didn't have luck with the spring foot from my old Viking, so the dealer had me try the 4125417 spring foot and I was so pleased, she gave it to me. I haven't had a problem since! When I remember, I set it to C when I'm quilting, but often forget.

I rarely touch the tension, change the needle with each new quilt, clean the bobbin case at least with every bobbin change, if not more. I run the bobbins until they are empty most times and don't have problems with the bobbins. I do wish they wound a little neater. I must admit, I have not wound the bobbin while the machine was still threaded. The dealer said it's better, puts more tension on it, but I still haven't tried it. I must fish out the book and look it up.

I wish you could set it to stay at 1/4 so that when you shut it off, it would come back to that. But I taped a post-it to the bed of the machine to remind me. :)
Old 06-29-2010, 04:09 AM

I have 2 problems with my 830. When I wind the bobbins, they don't wind evenly. Seems most of the thread goes around the bottom half. If I put my finger under the thread and "aim" it upwards the top half fills. This happens if I do it when the machine is threaded or if I just use it to fill the bobbin. Any suggestions?

Second problem, and this could be "user error" is when FMQ my top thread doesn't break--it shreads. If the thread is three ply or two ply I'll be sewing along and the thread snaps. When I look at it there's a blob of thread where it enters the needle and the thread going into the fabric is only one very thin ply. Doesn't matter brand of thread, ply, or size of needle. I've tried most types. I do the whole clean, rethread, new needle, etc., and it keeps happening. No burr on needle. Bought a new pack of quilting needles but haven't had a chance to try them yet. Has anyone else had this happen?

Katie, the 830 has a memory setting: it's that little heart logo. You do have to program your favorite setting (it takes awhile) but then when you turn it on and go the favorites (heart button) it goes to what you've set.

I hope this all makes sense and Charleen, thanks for starting this thread--I've already gotten some help.

Also, when you're sewing, is it better to have the thread horizontal or vertical?
Old 06-29-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Also, when you're sewing, is it better to have the thread horizontal or vertical?
There's something in the manual about this - it depends on how the spool is wound.

Regarding your thread breaking, have you checked your needle plate for burrs? In the Yahoo group for Sapphire owners, some quilters suggest a stretch needle for free motion.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:08 AM

I have three vikings right now, Interlude, 1+ and Designer 1. Love them all. I found out not to use Gutterman thread, for some reason it spits it out. ha I use Coatsand Clark dual purpose thread. Also, use top thread needle or ballpoint when fmq. needles do matter on these machines. I do love mine. Inherted 1+ really am impressed with it. Sister had made good choice on machine. Also, may need to make sure its threaded through tension disc correctly. I wasnt threading the Designer 1 correctly.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:13 AM

I bought a Sapphire 875 about a month ago. Love it!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 AM

I have the Platinum 775 and the Scandinavia 400 (for embroidery). I love both, but don't know anything about the Sapphire. I do love Vikings, though!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by topper1
I have three vikings right now, Interlude, 1+ and Designer 1. Love them all. I found out not to use Gutterman thread, for some reason it spits it out. ha I use Coatsand Clark dual purpose thread. Also, use top thread needle or ballpoint when fmq. needles do matter on these machines. I do love mine. Inherted 1+ really am impressed with it. Sister had made good choice on machine. Also, may need to make sure its threaded through tension disc correctly. I wasnt threading the Designer 1 correctly.
It's funny how they can vary so much. My 830 loves Gutterman and isn't as fond of Coats & Clark. It does not like Connecting Threads brand. Aurifil and Wonderfil work great in it!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 AM

Thanks for reminding us about the favorites setting I forget about the new technology.
The tech guy I mentioned gave me some answers to several of our questions:

-said it didn't matter whether thread was horizontal or vertical.
-said the thread tends to pop out of the tension discs on SOME machines and that he is making his own tools to facilitate his repairs
I have the same problems with my bobbin winding but didn't think to ask him about it. Will do so next time, again, it could be I did't have it threaded correctly. I too, will get the book out.

One problem with the thread breaking (this might cover your shreading problem too) is that there might be burrs on the edge of the spool which catch the thread. I keep an emory board within arms reach.
Originally Posted by janRN
I have 2 problems with my 830. When I wind the bobbins, they don't wind evenly. Seems most of the thread goes around the bottom half. If I put my finger under the thread and "aim" it upwards the top half fills. This happens if I do it when the machine is threaded or if I just use it to fill the bobbin. Any suggestions?

Second problem, and this could be "user error" is when FMQ my top thread doesn't break--it shreads. If the thread is three ply or two ply I'll be sewing along and the thread snaps. When I look at it there's a blob of thread where it enters the needle and the thread going into the fabric is only one very thin ply. Doesn't matter brand of thread, ply, or size of needle. I've tried most types. I do the whole clean, rethread, new needle, etc., and it keeps happening. No burr on needle. Bought a new pack of quilting needles but haven't had a chance to try them yet. Has anyone else had this happen?

Katie, the 830 has a memory setting: it's that little heart logo. You do have to program your favorite setting (it takes awhile) but then when you turn it on and go the favorites (heart button) it goes to what you've set.

I hope this all makes sense and Charleen, thanks for starting this thread--I've already gotten some help.