Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry right now. >

I could cry right now.

I could cry right now.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 AM

Personally I like the look of a quilt that has been washed after it is sewn, I use cotton batting so there is always some shrinkage but it makes the quilt a little fluffier. All the quilts I make as gifts get washed after I finish them so they'll have that look.
I think your quilt looks great!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 AM

I like the quilt - and I don't think it looks bad at all. I think it's beautiful. Could you try ironing it a little bit? With all the work you put into it, I hope you are satisfied with some of the suggestions given.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 AM

I agree with the others that suggest re-washing it. Then let it either air dry or put it in the dryer only long enough to remove some moisture...just for a little bit...not long at all! When it's damp dry then stretch it ever so gently. You could use painter's tape on the floor or on a table in the size that you want it to be and stretch it to size using the markings as a guideline so that you know where to stretch to get it more even. Then anchor it at key points while it dries so that it keeps it's shape. After it dries I really think it's going to be great...but you could lightly touch up with an iron if need be just to get any really heaving puckered areas smoother...but remember it's the neat puckered quilted areas that make a quilt look like a quilt! Good luck!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by happymrs
I prewash ALL my fabric, the same way I gently wash & dry my quilts later, so have never had a problem drying them, & I have no place large enough, inside, to let a quilt air dry entirely, so have no real choice otherwise. I do agree, some people wash a quilt to death. Mine, on our bed, only gets a gentle wash, if hubby says it smells, as he has a super fine sense of smell (drives me crazy at times!), otherwise, it might get a little spot wash now & then,if needed. I don't wash a quilt when I finish it either, as all, except small charm pack quilts, have been washed first, so why wash it again, right... This method works for me & I have never had any problems in doing so....
She had washed her fabrics. It was the batting that shrank.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 AM

I like that squishy rumpled look after washing. It makes it look soft and cuddly. What a beautiful quilt.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by deema
I FINALLY finished my MIL's Christmas gift quilt...with just two weeks to spare, because we're celebrating early. I finished hiding all of my loose threads last night and threw it in the wash...I took it out today and it's shrunk and distorted and puckered and I am so sad. I pre-washed all of my fabric (front and back)...I think the batting is what shrunk (it is a cotton/poly blend but I don't know the ratio because I bought it second hand without packaging or anything)...It looks awful. I feel awful. I can't give this as a gift to somebody...it's terrible! I'm so sad. It's shrunk AT LEAST four inches!!!

:cry:

Now what am I supposed to to about MIL's Christmas gift?!? AHHHHHH
If you have a space large enough why not try to lay it out and steam press it from the middle out? Maybe this will help you square up and pull out some of the shrinkage. Your work is lovely and I hope you can salvage this. There are a lot of really masterful quilters on this site and surely someone will have a better fix than this one. Lots of luck
Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 AM

I don't think it looks that bad. I agree....try ironing it. It looks like something I would want to cuddle up in! :)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 AM

I have a friend who does very good work and washes all her quilts for that soft homey look before she gives them as gifts. Ideas about rewashing and ironing are good. How about a professional press. It's so well made I'm sure the recipient will value it.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
just saw the picture, that's not that bad, try ironing it.
that's what I would do. Iron it with steam. Or take it to the cleaners and let them do it with their mangle. I guess that is what they are called. It's really pretty and I think your gift will be well received.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 AM

I agree with scrappykate, try ironing it with starch.