Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. >

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:25 PM

i understand. i find fabrics i love but selecting all the fabrics for a quilt is daunting. quilts fabri combinations go against everything i learned when sewing clothing...prints are combined and colors can go pretty crazy.
i think i just have to learn to do it. lqs owner and i have an understanding, i can ask what she thinks of the combos i pick and she will tell me what she doens't like and why then show me other options. then, i will buy what i decide i like best.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:00 PM

I love picking out fabrics esp. if I have a quilt in mind. I like to look and buy even when i don't know for sure what I will use it for!!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by merrylouw
I had that problem too, at first. How about if you take that Storm at Sea pattern back to your LQS, pick out one fabric that you LOVE and then ask the experts in the shop to give you a few suggestions for coordinating fabrics. It's their job, they do it every day. The more you watch them do it, the more it will rub off on you.

Just remember to have fun. That's what it's all about.
What a great idea! I too have trouble choosing fabrics.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by MZStitch
My Mom gave me some cash for my birthday. I already had my plans for a king size storm at sea ready, so I headed to a favorite quilt shop today. I spent two hours wandering around the store, and left with nothing.
This past summer, same thing, I had a chance to spend a day in Lancaster Pennsylvania and many Amish quilt shops.. Left with nothing.
I love to quilt, I love the whole process of piecing, applique, free motion quilting. But when it comes to picking out the fabric, I'm at a loss.
I did buy one 1/4 yard piece to check the color out in my room, brought it home, didn't like it! On to another shop sometime next week! Argh.
I love picking out fabric. I'm going to do a Storm at Sea one of these days. Tomorrow I'll post my color fabric choices. Not what I first wanted but I couldn't find what I wanted for the dark, so I went another route.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Fabric choice is really hard for me and I find it daunting. I guess it is my least favorite part of quilting.
I'll go to the store with you!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Kas

I love picking out fabric. In fact, I love it so much I just have to stay out of the shops! Usually I will pick what I think will go, but have to change a few. But I know what you are talking about. It seems that when I have money to spend without guilt, I can't find anything I like. But when I really shouldn't be in the store, I spend too much because I find so much I just can't live without. Hmmm.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:05 AM

it's not that I hate picking out fabric. It's matching the main fabric that gets me. I've seen so many beautiful quilts w/all different prints, colors that just blend so nicely. But I can't seem to pull that together. Someday I'll get there.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 AM

With the rising price of fabric it is a whole lot less fun!
Old 12-05-2010, 02:37 PM

I'm with you, I love the whole process, but picking out the fabric, well it is not my strong point, but when I do get some, I usually really like it.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:59 PM

I 'd love to be able to pick out fabric. My husband keeps telling me that I have too much fabric already. A neighbor recently brought me 2 paper grocery sacks of mixed scraps and yard goods. My husband groaned and suggested that another neighbor would like to have some of the fabric. I had already planned to share with her, but his comment took most of the joy out of my gift.