Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps? >

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:35 AM

I love to LOOK at bargello, but refuse to make one, too much thinking for my brain. Log cabins I love, a little bit tedious but yes some of the patterns you can create are awesome.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:38 AM

I dislike Sunbonnet Sue and Sam, alot. I am starting to dislike watercolor type quilts, too.

Originally Posted by aggie
Sunbonnet Sue!!Yuck
Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 AM

I don't know but this sounds more like quilt police. I like all of different quilts there might be a few I would never make only because they are not my thing. I still like to see them done by someone else.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Linsoblu
I don't know but this sounds more like quilt police. I like all of different quilts there might be a few I would never make only because they are not my thing. I still like to see them done by someone else.
I love seeing all the quilts and appreciate all the hard work..that's what makes quilting fun and interesting !!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:53 AM

I have never seen a quilt pattern that gives me the creeps. I believe it is the fabric/color combination that attracts me in quilts, so if the colors and fabric arrangement are pleasing to my eyes, I just would love that pattern. And even when I don't like a certain quilt/colors, I won't say it gives me the creeps, just not my style, just like my quilts are not everyone's style.

Now, Krystana, have you seen my Bargello??? :mrgreen:
Old 08-21-2011, 10:01 AM

Sun Bonnet Sue and Sam and yoyo's. I appreciate the work but they are just not my style. :(
Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Originally Posted by Bev
Only the ones I make up myself.
Bev, love your avatar! Is it a retalbo for Day of the Dead? Can we see the whole thing?
Thanks for the compliment! I'm afraid I have to admit my ignorance, I don't know what a retalbo is. This was one block of many that I put into a Halloween quilt for my seven year old grandson. And the fabric was (I believe) a part of Alexander Henry's Day of the Dead line. I was crazy for that fabric and bought a whole lot of it not even thinking about what I'd do with it. Then my grandson spied it and loved it. The rest is history! I no longer have the quilt at my home, but I have other pictures of some of the blocks. If I can dig them up I'll upload them to this site.
Each block was the doorway to a house where a party was going on. Or at least that was my intent. This is what I mean about "quilts that are creepy." This one certainly was.
8-)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:18 AM

Totally unrelated to topic: Does anyone here know what those niche altars are called? They are outside in the garden and along the roadside out west. Usually have a religious statue and lots of candles. The word is driving us crazy because we used to know it.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:19 AM

One Block Wonders look way too messy and busy -- just look like they were thrown together. If they had sashings like a traditional kaleidoscope pattern, then they would look better, something to give the eyes a rest.

I do love log cabins... did not make any until this year. But this year, I have sewn 3 log-cabin tops. They are scrappy, but 'planned' scrappy (in the same color family).

Some of the patterns and layouts which you see over and over again seem boring now (not creepy though).
Old 08-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mamasuze
I don't see any negativity in this thread. Nowhere has anyone disparaged anyone else's tastes or preferences. Many posts have referenced the fact that, even though a pattern may not be a favorite, we can still see and appreciate the skills and talents of the quilter.

One of the things I've enjoyed the most about this board is the huge number of members with their extremely varied tastes and skill levels. I've been amazed by projects that I can't imagine trying for myself, and I've broadened the way I think about fabrics and patterns because of what the amazing quilters have shown here.
Surely we can share our "dislikes" in a polite, nonjudgemental way. After all, think how boring this board would be if we all liked the same patterns and fabrics!
I agree!!!