do you use your china?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:01 PM

When I lived in Germany, I went to the Villeroy & Boch factory and bought seconds. Have 12 place settings and also several unusual serving pieces. I always use it when we have company - even if it's just the kids. Lately, I find myself using more and more for just DH and me. If I have it, why not use it. It's too pretty to be stored away.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 PM

China and Crystal I have a bunch my ex brought back from overseas Navy Exchange. Used to use it only at holidays, been many years since its been used, kids all live other states don't get home often, I don't cook anymore. No one really want it either what to do with it, good question?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:22 PM

I say get your Royal Albert Old Country Roses pattern china and use it every time possible.... I had it, loved it, but it was all stolen when our house was ransacked. I did have 2 other sets of china, but the Old Country Roses was my favorite. As much as I loved it, I was most bitter about them taking all MY SEWING THINGS, AND MY TOTAL STASH.

I found out tho, all this was material things, and the best of life is not in having THINGS>

enjoy..
Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 PM

I registered my china before I got married and received just about all of it. I actually used it all the time for special occasions. That all changed when we got our first microwave. My pattern had a silver rim around the pieces and therefore could not be put into the microwave. Before we had the microwave, it seems that the food was always hot enough, after we got it, the kids wanted to heat their food. Never could figure that one out. By the way, my china is 54 years old.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:37 PM

ok ladies I got rid of all my china i brought from home(germany) too much trouble I have a set for 8 regular matching dishes we use every day.Then we use "fine" china my son call it when ever lol (paperplates)
Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 PM

I had 2 sets.. one was by Noritake.. X got that cause you know he just uses it all the time. ROTFL, and the second set I bought because of it's name.. Heather.. which is also my first born daughters name. She now has it in her hope chest which is in my garage. LOL
Old 10-27-2011, 05:52 PM

I have a set for 4 that I bought way back before I got married. I use it sometimes for no special reason at all.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:57 PM

Fancy china is on the table fully set, every Sunday when there are eight of us we use it. Thru the week DH and I use everyday dishes, but we are really into handmade pottery dishes. One thing I always heard is ever so often you need to place good china and crystal in hot sudsy water as it helps keep them tempered.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:58 PM

Interesting, I never heard of keeping china and crystal ... tempered.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pat P
Fancy china is on the table fully set, every Sunday when there are eight of us we use it. Thru the week DH and I use everyday dishes, but we are really into handmade pottery dishes. One thing I always heard is ever so often you need to place good china and crystal in hot sudsy water as it helps keep them tempered.
I heard that too, but also not to shock the china or it will crack. I washed some china today and since my house is cold, I washed it in warmer than luke warm, but not hot water. But some of the pieces need to be "healed" in milk, but we don't have enough milk so they'll just have to wait!