Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok, let's be honest >

Ok, let's be honest

Ok, let's be honest

Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 AM

I almost never sew over pins. That can mess up your machine as well as break needles. I had to have my machine adjusted before because the needle would not center right. Finding a mark on my machine about 2 inches in front of the needle helps me keep things straighter and just practice, practice, practice. Hope that helps.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM

we all have our issues if truth be told...on little trick...if you put your pins in at an angle then you won't bend/break your needle...my teacher taught me this one..I try to take the pins out but do this just in case as a back up
Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 AM

My problem is that I pin very carefully and still one of the fabrics slips and isn't caught good in the seam making it pucker and not lay flat. Of course I don't notice it until way later. Now I am checking a block I just finished and found 3 places like that. Any suggestions to help this problem?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by sguillot View Post
My problem is that I pin very carefully and still one of the fabrics slips and isn't caught good in the seam making it pucker and not lay flat. Of course I don't notice it until way later. Now I am checking a block I just finished and found 3 places like that. Any suggestions to help this problem?
Don't pin. Seriously. Match the edges of your fabric about six inches out from the needle and sew until that section is to the needle and match the next section. It's not that the fabric slips, it's the pins making the puckers and not leaving the fabric flat as it gets to the needle.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 AM

Hard to believe this high a percentage of members here have so much trouble with something as basic as sewing a straight seam. Sure looks like most of those who can and do sew straight are afraid to reply to this thread.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
I always sew straight. I find it easy for some reason. Never needed to use the seam ripper so I threw it away a few years back. ...hang on, Elvis and Johnny Cash are knocking on the door again. Maybe they can help me get rid of the aliens who crash landed in my garden, they're eating me out of house and home!
LOL. You are so funny.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Jan in Va - I use five sticky note sheets cut 1/2" wide held down with Magic Mending tape, too. Starting on a thread saver and sewing off onto a thread saver will keep from having seam size vary at the beginning and end of seams.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 PM

My sewing is as straight as it's every gonna be. I just try my best.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM

Nope, I sure don't sew straight either. I have been sewing for a long long time and the older I get, the worse it is. I used to sew really straight lines when I made dresses etc, but for quilting, I am pitiful. Absolutely pitiful !! (Please don't tell the Quilt Police).
Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM

After 60 plus years sewing, yes I sew straight and it drivesme crazy if seams are not.