Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A machine for my wife >

A machine for my wife

A machine for my wife

Old 12-18-2014, 08:25 AM

Brother sewing machines are well known for their user friendly quality. If she is new to sewing, I would advise a used machine from a qualified dealer or you may get lucky with local auctions or yard sales. I vote for the card and a promise to help her find just what she wants. I would nix the featherweight for now and maybe get it as a future gift as a second machine imagine the fun the two of you might have shopping for a bargain price on a FW.. I have a 301A, an old singer, a Kenmore, a Morse, and a modern Brother. The one I use to sew is the Brother. The 301A for display and the others are stored. The Kenmore is a heavy wonderful stitching machine. The most I have paid for any of these was $40. However, the Brother was a gift. I have sewn for 70 years.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:44 AM

Well if I was the recipient of a sewing machine for Christmas I would want some input on what machine, since I would be the one using it. I would not buy a tool for my husband unless I knew exactly what he wanted without his input
Old 12-18-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by KnittingPlatypus View Post
So I am one who tends to get my wife something that is thoughtful and quality for christmas. I have done some research which lead me to this sight. The last couple of years off and on my wife has hinted at getting a sewing machine. And this christmas I have the ability to do that. From what I have found its a good investment to go with a vintage Singer Featherweight. I figured the best way to test this is to ask a forum, which is much wiser in the ways of the sewing if what I found is a good idea or not. Also any feed back of what would be a good price to pay for a machine like this would be great. I thank you all in advance for your advice.

Best,
Be kind! Tell her what you are willing to spend and let her decide. She's going to use it, not you.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
..guess we will never know......I have to remember to look at the original post date before replying....
Didn't look either!