Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart sewing machines >

walmart sewing machines

walmart sewing machines

Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 PM

well apparently a lot of people are quite happy with walmart machines. I have looked at the better rated machines and places and the prices are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my budget. Have been talking to a lady on here and she has given me a lot of help on covering the foot feed so I can venture into FMQ. Otherwise my little kenmore runs fine and does all I ask of it otherwise. smile...
Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 PM

It isn't nice to bad-mouth the machines, many of our posters have. If it makes you feel better about yourself, to have an expensive machine, that's wonderful. However, many people feel just fine about themselves, with machines that cost less . . . and they've made beautiful quilts, with those machines!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:51 PM

Franklindixie,

Brothers are great machines for the price. I had one that broke after it was dropped by DH (an accident). It was an $89 machine that held up very well to 6 years of not-gentle use by me.

I replaced it with a Brother SE350, which has embroidery and regular sewing capability. It was reasonably priced, and I love it. Haven't used the embroidery yet, but you never know...

Recently bought another Brother to use in our garage when my HQ16/pcquilter are busy quilting. It's a nice machine, too. So far my only complaint is that it doesn't have an automatic thread cutter. Other than that, it's a nice, smooth running machine.

One other thing I can say about the Brother machines - the manuals are well written, understandable and very useful. They actually explain the feet, the needles, etc. My HQ16 manual is about 8 pages long and is very short on information. No doubt the more expensive machines have good manuals, too, but for the price I paid for the Brothers', I got way more than I expected in the manuals.

By the way, I do have an older New Home 'mechanical' that I bought at Goodwill for $12. Cleaned it up, oiled it and it works just fine. It was replaced because it is so heavy; I sew in the dining room and have to put it away now and then. I can't do heavy as well as I used to. It's now a backup machine. It hasn't been used since last December, but I can't get myself to part with it, so it will be with me for a long time.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:14 AM

I bought a Singer at walmart years ago.All metal cabinet,zig zag,but it was a work horse.I still have it.But the ones I see now look cheap.Like I said thet was years ago.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:30 AM

I have a Brother Wal-mart. It was my 2nd machine and after 6 months the reverse stopped working. I'm not a fan.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by franklindixie View Post
Seriously? you're questioning the quality of Walmart sewing machines? I know I'm a bit of a machine snob, but what do you really expect from Walmart? you get what you pay for with sewing machines or anything else. You'd probably get a better machine at Goodwill than walmart. If you want to do FMQ, go to your local sewing machine dealer & talk to them. the small independent sellers actually care whether you buy a machine from them or not. there are good (or at least decent) as well as bad machines in all price ranges. once you get over the sticker shock, your local dealer will help you select a quality machine that will meet your needs and budget -- and will take care of you for years. walmart is where you buy dog food, not sewing machines!
Yes, I'd say you are a machine snob. I've bought several machines from Walmart and had good luck with all of them. If you bought the same machine from someplace other than Walmart, and had good luck with it, would you still badmouth it? It's the brand - not where it was bought - that is important.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:57 AM

Whoa...never thought I would open such a can of worms with this question. I think it is obvious, that as with anything, there have been good and there have been bad experiences with the machines. So lets all be nice now and say....it is up to the individual.....I have my answer and thank all who posted here. I always know I will get help from this site and have told many friends about it. Again....thank you to all who answered.....Elaine.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 AM

on another note....amcatanzaro....I love your avatar....LOL.......