Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 12-02-2013, 02:44 AM

Tonight I cleaned off my cutting table. I have been trying to do it on the table but getting nowhere. I took the contents into my dining room, sat on the floor and sorted. Now I have a new pile of strings, a pile of fabrics to cut for my 3.5 inch tumbler quilt, a pile of larger pieces and some more scrappiness for each of the colours in this mystery. I probably have most of the oranges and the neutrals cut and may be 2/3 of the blue. I have sewn 1/4+ of the blocks so I should get there by Saturday (I am in Australia). I used my Go cutter for these shapes. I am making the small size for now.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:58 AM

You gals are fast. I just finished deciding on all my fabrics. Washed and ironed. Did you know if you making the Large, you need wash over 14 yards.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by sewmany View Post
You gals are fast. I just finished deciding on all my fabrics. Washed and ironed. Did you know if you making the Large, you need wash over 14 yards.
It was the same with Easy Street. I had some fabric leftover from that I could have used on the back but I had found the perfect fabric on sale for that so the extras went back into my scraps. I'm a little over half done with the orange blocks and will cut and sew the neutrals tomorrow. Play Day at the LQS today.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:07 AM

I cut my pieces up this morning. I discovered I cut way too many 3 1/2 in strips for the backgrounds. Oh well, I'm sure I'll use them for something sooner or later.

I wish I could just sit at my machine and sew the pieces all together, but silly old life sometimes interferes with my sewing time...
Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
How does the Inklingo work on dark fabric? Can you see the lines OK?
To be honest it depends on how dark your fabric is on the back side as that is where the printing will be done. I have more trouble with fabric that has a busy print on the front and the back shows a lot of the print. I will try and take a picture a bit later so that I can show what I mean.
Many dark fabrics have a pretty light backside so the lines show up just fine.
Linda Franz the inventor of Inklingo has several work arounds that you can use to print on dark fabric. One would be to layer a dark fabric unprinted with a fabric that has been printed and cut them out together. When you piece the units at least one piece has to have the lines though LOL
Anyway Linda always answers questions very quickly and you also get to meet her dear friend Monkey who loves to post answers as well.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 AM

OK, all the units for clue 1 are done and I posted a link on Bonnie's linky party post on her blog.
I couldn't look at all the links but it seems some quilters are finished and some havn't even started so it's all good (as my DD tells me frequently)
Used my treadle for the last 30 or so and I think I am getting better LOL They mostly measured accurately
Old 12-02-2013, 12:17 PM

Default Almost Done with Clue #1

Got all the "neutral" blocks done. I'm using only one neutral color. Got one side of the "orange" done. Hopefully will finish the other side this evening. Had to do a little trimming on some because of different weight fabric in the blues but all is good! I'm hoping to do the weekly clues on time. First Bonnie mystery quilt for me.
Attached Thumbnails clue-1-800x583-.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 12:24 PM

I'm making the 1/2 size one and have clue one finished now. They came out so beautiful...
Will post images a bit later.
My tummy kind of went WooOOps when I saw we were starting right off with the 2 special rulers.
But it was fine...

I've also bookmarked the quilt blog of the woman who is making hers a mini with 1/2 sized blocks
Old 12-02-2013, 02:03 PM

I haven't started yet only due to having to finsh a quilt (a gift) that has all of Bonnies colors in it and I want to see what I will have left over in those colors in case I needed to pick up or search my stash for some more oranges and greens. I should be finshed with this gift quilt in a few days. So I should be able to start this week on the first part and hopefully have that step at least 3/4 to 1/2 way done when the next step is released!

I too now am thinking I may use a smaller strips like a 2 1/2" thinking that might be about a lap size and then again maybe I might even use a 1 1/2" and make a wall hanging as I'll bet it would look great as one. I could always make the 3 1/2" later to have/use in the same room as the wall hanging.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:39 PM

keep in mind there is a difference (for me) between the small, 75X75 inch, and the miniature, which 1/2 sizes all the cutting. Just so we are all on the same page. I'll bet the mini's will be stunning, because the intricacy of the piecing is so fab on the big quilts.