Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Recommendations Wanted! >

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Old 05-18-2024, 05:18 AM

Peckish -- I'll have to give Travis McGee a listen. I like the way you describe the series. When the books were big I wasn't reading much in the adventure thriller?? sort of thing but I'm really enjoying those sorts of books now.

Rilene -- good suggestion! I did listen to Tom Hanks narrate The Dutch House and enjoyed that and didn't find his distinctive voice distracting. Should be really good with his own works.

Carol In Wi -- another good call, I have a strange relationship with the Andy Carpenter books, because I enjoy the stories but don't really like Andy... The author has another related and still with dogs series, the K Team. Still set in the "universe" or at least the same town but with mostly different characters.

Kalama -- I had forgotten about Patrick McManus. I have, however, put one of his books on my wish list.

As for books I don't like, I have decided that life is hard enough without forcing myself to spend time with books or people I don't like. I used to make myself finish everything -- the one exception I can think of was Titus Groan/the Gormenghast series. Which was something you'd think I'd like but I don't think I ever got past 100 pages in the first book even though I bought the 3-book collection, that was back in college so 40 some years ago but I still remember because I didn't finish..

Audio books take much more time than my old reading speed. I used to give myself one disk/hour. Now if I'm not enjoying the book or the characters (or the narrator) I give up any time after 15 minutes. There is a whole genre apparently since Gone Girl with "unreliable narrators" and no characters that I can like, particularly by British authors.

My latest book was non-fiction, The Invention of Prehistory. It was an interesting set of thoughts, not a whole lot on prehistory... We are driving up to visit the MiL and will finish The Golden Spoon on the way there, with four hours left just about the perfect amount left for the drive. I have the latest Elm Creek book off hold, and The Ministry of Time by Kailene Bradley. Not part of the Chronicles of St Mary (which I enjoy/ed quite a bit) about time traveling historians but sounds like a good match for me.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:42 AM

If you like Science Fiction books, I recommend The Murderbot Diaries. It's a bout a SecUnit Robot that disabled his governor module and now he is a rogue robot. These are relatively short books so far, I'm almost done with book two, but they're fun.
Old 05-27-2024, 03:59 AM

I am currently enjoying Ken Follett's newest book,
The Armor of Light: A Novel (Kingsbridge Book 5).
Read Pillars of the Earth; it grabs you from the first page!
Old 05-27-2024, 05:35 AM

For anyone who loved Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books, his son is writing books under the name James J Butcher. I'm reading the first one now called Dead Man's Hand. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and so far, it's pretty good