Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Recommendations Wanted! >

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Old 05-14-2024, 08:11 AM

I remember suggesting the Longmire series earlier in this thread, but I don't remember if I also recommended the Travis McGee series, by John D. MacDonald. They are a tiny bit dated (pay phones instead of cell, that type of thing) but that doesn't bother me a bit. MacDonald was a prolific writer, most of his books were not serial in nature, and a couple were made into movies (The Executioner, which became Cape Fear, Condominium, The Girl, The Gold Watch, And Everything). The Travis McGee books all have colors in the title, The Deep Blue Good-by, The Scarlet Ruse, etc.

From wiki: "McGee's business card reads "Salvage Consultant," and most business comes to him by word of mouth. His clients are usually people who have been deprived of something important and/or valuable (typically by unscrupulous or illegal means) and have no way to regain it lawfully. McGee's usual fee is half the value of the item (if recovered) with McGee risking expenses, and potential clients who object to such a seemingly high fee are reminded that getting back half of something is better than owning all of nothing. Although the missing items are usually tangible (e.g., rare stamps or jewels), in several books McGee is asked to locate a missing person; in one, the stolen property is a client's reputation. In several instances, he shows a marked propensity to exact revenge, usually for the ill-treatment or death of one of his few real friends."

I re-read all of the Trav McGee books every other year or so, they're great summer reads.

Last edited by Peckish; 05-14-2024 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:26 AM

Currently reading a series by CJ Box it is a mystery there are about 28 books in the series it is about a game Warden. Intersting fun book.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:05 AM

Well, I know this isn't for nighttime reading in bed, but this is a great book. I'm currently reading "The Grown-Ups Wanted Us Dead" by Charlene Amsden. It has kept me laughing, and last week I had a check-up on some hearing-aids I got 2 weeks ago (nerve damage). Anyway, you should have seen me sitting in the waiting room, giggling like a 3-yr-old while I was reading that on my iphone. That is one hilarious book!
Old 05-16-2024, 03:37 AM

Up North -- love CJ Box and Joe Pickett. Sadly I am current on that author, Several of us in this thread have many authors/series that you will probably also like but you have about 20 or so books ahead of you -- lucky you!

DebbieJJ -- I've got nothing against laughing out loud, even in the middle of the night. I also listen while doing other things like when I'm cooking or quilting even or car driving sometimes. Sadly, that author is not available to me in audio form.

Speaking of listening while driving, husband and I are going to visit his mom this weekend it is about a 4-5 hour drive (each way) and we will be finishing the second half of The Golden Spoon by Jessica Maxwell. We did the first half last weekend as we did a day trip/dog walk about 2 hours away. It is about a cooking show (like the British Bake Off) in rural Vermont where bad things are happening... mostly I prefer a single narrator but with the way this is set up it makes sense to have a different voices for each character. I am enjoying it but have some big "but what about???".

Don't know what we will listen to on the way back -- probably a hubby suggestion.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:15 AM

If you're doing audio, what a pleasure it is to hear Tom Hanks as he narrates his novel 'The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece' !
Old 05-16-2024, 06:22 AM

I didn't read through all the suggestions, but if you haven't listened to the David Rosenfeld's books about Andy Carpenter, you may enjoy them. Andy is a defense lawyer, has a great sense of humor and of course skills that almost always win the case. And the draw for me is that the books always include Tara, the best, smartest Golden Retriever ever.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:21 PM

If you enjoyed The Grown-Ups Wanted Us Dead" by Charlene Amsden I'd recommend A Fine and Pleasant Misery,
by Patrick F. McManus. For any of us kids that grew on rural... he has a whole series that morphs into doing the same things as an adult
Old 05-16-2024, 03:57 PM

Have read several good books lately but was really disappointed in the most recent one. The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store came highly recommended to me. I found it a slow read with multiple stories going on at once. I kept reading thinking it would get better but it didn't. All the stories were wrapped up in about 20 pages at the end of the book. I hate to not finish any book but really felt I wasted my time with this one. Will have to look into some of the recent suggestions on this post.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:15 AM

She's not Sorry by Mary Kubica is good (actually, I've enjoyed most of hers).
The Farmers Wife was mentioned on ABC as being good (written by Helen Rebanks)

Enjoy!
Old 05-17-2024, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by beckyboo1 View Post
Have read several good books lately but was really disappointed in the most recent one. The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store came highly recommended to me. I found it a slow read with multiple stories going on at once. I kept reading thinking it would get better but it didn't. All the stories were wrapped up in about 20 pages at the end of the book. I hate to not finish any book but really felt I wasted my time with this one. Will have to look into some of the recent suggestions on this post.
I see that I'm not the only one. This book was on hold for a long time before I got it. Yesterday, I returned it to the library after reading only a quarter of it because it just didn't hold my interest.