Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Recommendations Wanted! >

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Old 09-02-2023, 04:17 AM

I love to read. I even have Kindle on my phone. I have been a Stephen King fan ever since Carrie. His last book, Fairy Tale, was a great read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. As I was reading it, I began wondering when the strange would kick in. It did. It is not like The
Shining
I have been a fan of Ken Follet novels ever since reading Pillars of the Earth.
I enjoyed the audio book written by Dolly Parton/Patterson because of her voice.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:04 AM

I loved early Stephen King but I stopped reading him after awhile, it seemed like each book went along well for 350 pages and then there was some explosion and time to wrap up the story in a quick 50 pages... I think it's time to go back for his later works. I did read 11/22/63 (about JFK assassination) recently and found it fascinating.

I listened to Dolly Parton Songteller, My Life in Lyrics which I don't think is the one aashley was referring to (different author credit). It was interesting listening anyway, but you felt like you were sitting chatting with her. I've always been a big fan of Dolly and her abilities. Maybe I should see if there is something on Audio about Charo aka The Cuchie Cuchie girl -- she was a fabulous flamenco guitarist with a similar persona.

The problem with prolific authors and some series is you are bound to be getting a dude here and there. I really enjoyed the Beekeepers Apprentice and several of the earlier stories about Mary Russell/Mrs Sherlock but I'm thinking maybe I am done with those. As I wrote this thread I was listening to Pirate King book 11 of 16, it just wasn't doing much for me. For those familiar with the books, are there gems ahead of me??

And speaking of Bees, I did listen to Onebyone's recommendation of The Bees. While the hubby sleeps through most of my insomnia listening, he liked what he heard enough to borrow the book himself! In another coincidence of timing he found a local small farm near our new house that has free range chicken eggs and they keep bees too

Next up is the first of the Longmire books -- library estimated it would be 3 weeks before a copy was available but it turned out to be 3 days!
Old 09-02-2023, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Have you tried Kristin Hannah? Well researched historical fiction. Not romance novels
Old 09-03-2023, 03:27 AM

I have read a lot of the books by the above authors, but two of my favorites are Linwood Barclay and Shari Lapena. I think Shari Lapena has only written about six books. They are mysteries. I think I have read all of Linwood Barclay’s books.
Old 09-03-2023, 03:42 AM

Peace Like A River by Enger

So Brave Young and Handsome, also by Leif Enger
Old 09-03-2023, 03:43 AM

Fredrik Backman is my new favorite author. “Britt Marie Was Here” and “Anxious People” were the most enjoyable.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:54 AM

Thanks IceBlossom, for starting this thread. I have a lot more books on my library list now. I used to get audio books when my kiddos were young to listen on car trips. We worked our way through the Magic Treehouse series. I have a DD who has Down syndrome and a reading level of 3rd grade. She loves to read but books at that level always involve talking animals or fairies. Maybe she would go for some more challenging stories if we tried audio books. I'm going to check it out.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:22 AM

First off, I started the Longmire books last night. From the first writing/narration I was drawn in. I haven't seen the tv series yet, I think maybe I thought it was a Yellowstone spin-off -- not that there is anything wrong with that.

Pam S -- while Audible (through amazon prime) gives you a couple books a month, check what you might have via your public library or maybe even school system. My old system has a very large number of YA (young adult) and children's books, down to very low reading level. I think some people use some of those instead of rereading some of those for the 1000th time for the kids that really enjoy 1000 times, the kids can "read" along with the physical copy.

Keep in mind a lot of the YA books still include talking animals or faeries (Harry Potter or the Redwall series by Brian Jacques come to mind as having broad appeal). There are also tons and tons of (fantasy) series about teens discovering they have super powers, not exactly super powers but the Hunger Games books are popular because they tell a good involving story. Many classics are also available as audio.

Stitchnripper -- I'll have to check out Kristen Hannah, especially check into Audible to see if Firefly Lane (the first one, the second is available in my library). The story is set in exactly my growing up years, as I say while condsidered to be the end of the boomers, my age group is exactly That 70s Show. I did put one of the other books on my wish list. I've previously recommended the Wilderness series by Sara Donati -- it skirts perilously close to be Historical Romance as opposed to Historical Fiction but I found it very satisfying -- it takes characters from The Last of the Mohicans/Leatherstocking tales and spins a rich yarn of early-pre-American states.

Other mentions -- Peace Like a River sounds fascinating. My library has 3 books by the author, I put Peace on my wish list and Virgil Wander on hold, should be available in a week or three.

I'll have to look more into Fredrick Backman, so far all I've read is the novella The Deal of a Lifetime. Thanks for the mention!

I have read several of Shari Lapena, and have been exposed to Linwood Barclay through a short story collection.called Face Off where several pairs of authors collaborate on stories where their main characters meet. If you're a mystery fan who also likes short stories it's a fun romp of not just fan fiction but actual authors meeting up.

Somewhat related, I've gone through most??/all of Lucy Foley. Not related at all but it came to mind while writing this, it took me a little to get in to it, but I loved and highly recommend The Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley. It is a bit stark for YA, but the heroine is a Native American girl in Michigan at the crossroads of high school and college and all sorts of good and bad stuff going on around her.
https://nativenewsonline.net/arts-en...-all-time-list
Old 09-03-2023, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

If you have an Audible membership you can listen to Grandma Gatewood's Walk free from the Plus catalog.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

I was going to suggest Lessons in Chemistry but you already listed it.
I don't know if you have Hoopla or not but they have many audiobooks that Libby doesn't have. Hoopla is also a part of the library.
I just finished The Many Lives of Mama Love which I found interesting (non-fiction).

Listening to audiobooks is a game changer for me. When my boys were little I worked part-time at our library while they were in school. That's when I heard about audiobooks. I still love to sit and read but listening can be done while I'm doing something else. But I agree they aren't for everyone.

Joyce Maynard is a favorite author of mine. Gosh, there are so many though!