Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many of us are organ donors? >

How many of us are organ donors?

How many of us are organ donors?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 PM

How'd I miss this post?

Anyway, all four of us are donors. My DD says if she dies before we do, to use whatever is needed. We all want creamation and 'thrown to the wind' as it were.

God gets my soul, family says goodbye, after that, adios.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 PM

I had posted here regarding my brother needing a liver transplant. I am so happy to let everyone know that on Thanksgiving day he received a new liver and a new life.

What a gift the donor and their family have given us. The transplant was Thanksgiving day and his 64th birthday was the following day.

I am so grateful to all organ donors.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:06 PM

I'm an organ donor and a marrow donor. But all mine is getting old too LOL
Old 12-04-2010, 07:47 PM

I have designated that my organs be donated and have been on the bone marrow registry since 1996 when I lost my dad to leukemia. For any of you out there that may be interested in becoming a bone marrow donor, please do an internet search and get the information. I do know that there is a real shortage of bone marrow donors in the African-American and Hispanic communities. What a gift that could be to someone.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

I am and have been for about 10 years or more!

When my brother passed away in 2002, our family got together and decided to donate his organs. We did not know if he wanted to but because he was the kind of man who would give you the shirt off his back if you needed one, I think we made the right decision.

Anyway, he saved 7 peoples lives!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:17 PM

I am too. When I'm through with all that is attached to my body, then give them to someone who can use them. That is, if they even take body parts as old as mine!! I am in good health though, so that might count a lot. I do know that I'm too old to donate Bone Marrow because I've checked on that.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 PM

[quote=Maride]It is great to sign your card, but the last moment comes, especially if there is an accident, the final decision is made by your relatives. Sign your card and make sure your family members know what your final wishes are. Also, there is something we can do even before we are gone. Donating blood is a great way to help while we are still here.
--------------------------------------
Thanks for mentioning that. I was afraid that I'd commented on that way too much. Today we went to an out of town church for a blood drive, and for the first time there we had a lovely bunch of donors. Each one now knows that s/he might save a life or two or so with that one donation. Plus, they get a mini checkup, blood iron, temp, blood pressure. If anything is out of line you will be told it would be good to go to your own doctor.
Do donate blood, a few women after menopause get an iron buildup and they/we should really have blood tests every year, or donate blood, we'll tell you if you have too much iron for your own health. Men do too, but not quite as often.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
Just in the last week I've read on the QB about someone in need of a transplant, and someone who died before getting one. I just wondered how many of us have taken the time to sign up to be donors?

I have. I personally don't care what they do with my carcass when I'm done with it - but if I can help another person in any way, I want to. It would be my last Act of Kindness.

If you haven't signed up, please think about it, and talk with your family members about it for themselves too.
I am also a donor!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:23 AM

ME!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:06 AM

It is on my license that I am a donor.