Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else sew barefoot? >

Does anyone else sew barefoot?

Does anyone else sew barefoot?

Old 05-31-2010, 05:07 AM

I keep slippers by the back door when I come in the house. I used to sew barefoot until I stepped on a pin! OUCH!
I too have problems with my feet, so slippers are better for me on the foot pedal.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:18 AM

My foot that controls the pedal is alway barefoot. A few years back when I took a course the teacher told us that it gave you better control.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 AM

barefoot or socks, always something thin if anything at all
Old 05-31-2010, 05:26 AM

I wear flip flops or slide on sandals in the house.....4 younger ones and 3 dogs running through there's always something on the floor....dirt from where the dog was laying (dirt just falls off his coat) crumbs from where the kids didn't clean up after them selves...I absolutely cannot sew with shoes on though. I tried this winter...no control at all. I also cannot drive a straight drive with shoes on. If I drive dh's truck the first thing I do is take my shoes off. I can't stand wearing shoes that lace up.....takes too long to get them off.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:42 AM

Mostly sew with socks on my feet. However when I am cutting out fabric with the rotary cutter, I try to have shoes on to protect my feet should I drop one of those cutters which stay open until manually closed. ALSO I took a free motion embroidery class and the teacher insited that we use our LEFT FOOT on the foot feed. Being right handed that was a little different. There happened to be a lady in class who was having a lot of trouble with her right knee and had never thought about using left foot on foot pedal, and this really did help her that particular day.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:45 AM

I agree. I can not control the speed of the foot petal with shoes on. We also take our shoes off at the door so we don't track in all the grime from outdoors,
Old 05-31-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I never wear shoes indoors. I have have problems with my feet ever since I was a little girl. As soon as I walk in the front door my shoes come off. I went to my SIL to help her make some totes out of some of her GGM blocks and the first thing I did when I sat down was kick my shoes off and start sewing. My SIL was shocked! It is so automatic to me that I have never thought about it before. She went on and on about it and told all of my other SIL. I can't sew with my shoes on. I can do anything I want in my own home, but I am curious to see if anyone else sews barefoot.
I can't sew with a shoe on my right foot but usually have socks or slippers on

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-31-2010, 05:53 AM

I am another one who takes the shoes off as soon as I come in my door. I door wear socks at all times.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 AM

I can't operate my foot pedal any other way PLUS, when I get ready to sew I put on an old pair of my son's hospital scrubs with nothing underneath. Sooooo comfortable and no binding anywhere and when they are old the are so soft. Covers everything, even if I have to answer the door or go out in the garden. Very cool, also.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:56 AM

I can't operate my foot pedal any other way PLUS, when I get ready to sew I put on an old pair of my son's hospital scrubs with nothing underneath. Sooooo comfortable and no binding anywhere and when they are old the are so soft. Covers everything, even if I have to answer the door or go out in the garden. Very cool, also.