Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business >

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM

There was an obit in the paper the other day where this elderly lady had died. I started remembering thru the years about her. She worked at a variety store & was the meanest bitchest person I had ever met. She was always so rude & followed you around like you were gonna rob the place. It carried over into her personnel life because when she would order flowers where I worked she was just as mean & hateful as at her job. Guess there are some people that will never change or be nice & friendly. I felt so sorry for her daughter. She was a nice lady. They come in every business & walks of life.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

Unfortunately right now I can't afford the material in the LQS
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 PM

There is a LQS aroud the corner from where I work. I have been in there 4 times. Each time, no one has greeted me or offered to help me. When I approached an employee (2 different times)the atttude was less than helpful, when I asked if they could direct me to some place that might carry that I was looking for, not only did they no have any suggestion, but acted as though I had offended them for even asking. I will not go there anymore.

On the other hand there is a LQS 1.5 hours away from me, the women who work there are so very friendly, always greet me and offer assistance. They have suggested Joann's for an item that they did not carry. Helped me with fabric selections and one time made a point of showing me items that were on clearance when I was looking at full price similar items. I go there whenever possible.

The shop that treats me well gets my business.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 PM

I have to say I have NEVER had a bad experience at any quilt shop. I was visiting a shop in Pennsylvania once, the husband was there instead of the lady owner, he could not help me too well with colors, called his wife and she came right over.
Another Wisconsin quilt shop will let you buy what you want and mail in a check (they don't take credit cards). AMAZING
I love my home shop also, very helpful and friendful!!!
My suggestion, keep hunting, and if all else fails, there is always online shopping. Take care. Sophie (Zaza)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 PM

why don't they understand that they are driving people away with their attitudes? when they have no customers anymore maybe they'll get it.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 PM

You have to blame the management. Poor training or recruiting of sales personnel. Our JoAnn store used to be like that. Our store had a survey going and I answered it two or three times with critical comments and I think a lot of other customers did the same. They have changed dramatically. Now they chat and help and greet!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 PM

Agree with all of you. I was in a LQS here waiting for the AAA guy to come, as car ran out of gas, but fuel gage didn't show empty, etc. I had done what shoppinh I needed to do and sat in a chair by front dooe. I greeted a Native American lady when she came in the door. Not one of the several emplloyees followed with a greeting.

Hey bob1414, hows the temp in SF. Had to be near 100, here today and will be more of the same to follow.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:54 PM

Our local Quilt shop in South Carolina is not like that one. Everyone is greeted and offered help of any kind. I once saw a woman buy 100 fat quarters(not precut) and the two ladies were just as attentive on the first as the last. We have wonderful classes and nice sales too. Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM

It seems that teaching business students that their businesses are there for the customers, not just to give the employees a place out of the sun, isn't taught anymore.
I've had some of that being ignored in other stores besides LQS's.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 PM

It's not necessarily any one particular type of store that has (or doesn't have) good customer service. However I find it amazing that ANY local shop of any kind would neglect basic courtesy. Most small businesses are really feeling the crunch of everyone being a bit more tightfisted with their spending and without customers, we have no business, whatever the product line.