Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$200 to "service" my sewing machine! >

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 PM

I thnk its "HIGH". And I would ask for the parts they replaced given to me. Then you cold see if they really did need to be replaced. I alway ask for the parts back. I saw on a 20/20 show to do that because auto repair places were saying they had replaced parts that were not replaced at all. It just keeps the wondering out of it.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 PM

$200.00 - the 73.00 for parts + tax's
$200.00 - the 73.00 is $127.00 Not bad for an electronic machine. What would it cost to replace that machine now with everything it does. It is a wonderful machine.
And how long to take the old parts that was replaced and re timed? I think for the machine you have it was a great investment. Can't expect it to run with out care anymore than your car. If it was a $200.00 machine and not all the bells and whistels you have it would not of cost that much... Hope now it is working well you are enjoying sewing on it.
Just for a manual machine no bell's and whistels is a base of $79 to $89 now. Anyway in our area... one of the shops here no mater what machine is a base of $119.99 weather they have to replace anything or not.
I have that machine and I'd rather pay more to have it working good than to have a machine I can't sew on or have to replace it. Happy sewing.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 PM

yes asking that all parts replace is save is a good thing , I have done that with my autos and washer etc for years...
Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ConnieF
$200.00 - the 73.00 for parts + tax's
$200.00 - the 73.00 is $127.00 Not bad for an electronic machine.

I have that machine and I'd rather pay more to have it working good than to have a machine I can't sew on or have to replace it. Happy sewing.
It was $200 for the maintenance. The parts were $73 MORE. That's $273 and they didn't tell her what parts were replaced or why. Sorry, that is too high. Regular maintenance is questionable when the machine is running fine anyway. But I do it at $65 to $89, depending on which of my 7 machines I'm taking in. But $200 is too high.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I am so puzzeled at all these repairs and cleanings lol.

What's so puzzling? If you spend several thousand dollars on a machine and use it daily, it needs to be in the shop every year for maintenance. For those of you who manage to use a $50 machine, fine...I've got one of those too. But, it's a no-brainer that if you have nice, expensive toys you'd want to take care of them properly. I'm sort of wondering if your posts are trying to make a dig at anyone who has an expensive machine? I'm not sure, really the point?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 AM
np3
Power Poster

Candace, let me see if this helps you. She paid $1200 for the machine. Ignoring the parts, the maintenance was almost 17% of the cost of the machine. At that rate, every 6 years she would have paid for her machine again.

I paid $42,000 for my SUV. Using that same percentage, the maintenance annually on my car would be $7,000. I actually pay an average of $250 for maintenance, sometimes higher sometimes lower depending on the actual work. It has lots of computer things that can go wrong too. So this makes the maintenance cost seem very high to me. I have some very pricey machines and I would not be happy to pay $200 annually for repairs per machine.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by np3
Candace, let me see if this helps you. She paid $1200 for the machine. Ignoring the parts, the maintenance was almost 17% of the cost of the machine. At that rate, every 6 years she would have paid for her machine again.

I paid $42,000 for my SUV. Using that same percentage, the maintenance annually on my car would be $7,000. I actually pay an average of $250 for maintenance, sometimes higher sometimes lower depending on the actual work. It has lots of computer things that can go wrong too. So this makes the maintenance cost seem very high to me. I have some very pricey machines and I would not be happy to pay $200 annually for repairs per machine.
My message was not to you and I don't need "clarification" thanks LOL.. and I posted before that this is about what I'd pay here.

By the same rationale I would never pay $2,000 to have a $100,000 house painted every 10 years. Or pay $250 a year for a service agreement on a heating/cooling system that costs $2,000. The cost of the item really has no basis for the maintenance labor and price. Yes, you can consider it in your purchase but time and skill is $.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 AM

That is just MUCH too high ... don't know about her repairs, but I've never paid more than $69 for cleaning & service, I have electronic machines ...
I'd ask for an itemized statement for sure!!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by QKO
I think it depends on where you are and what the average cost of living is in the area.

After all, the same quality hotel room will cost you $75/night in Boise Idaho, and $275/night in San Francisco.
... and you can pay a LOT less than $75 or esp that $275 if you use priceline, hotwire or expedia etc. We rarely book hotels any other way!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I am so puzzeled at all these repairs and cleanings lol.

What's so puzzling? If you spend several thousand dollars on a machine and use it daily, it needs to be in the shop every year for maintenance. For those of you who manage to use a $50 machine, fine...I've got one of those too. But, it's a no-brainer that if you have nice, expensive toys you'd want to take care of them properly. I'm sort of wondering if your posts are trying to make a dig at anyone who has an expensive machine? I'm not sure, really the point?

OUCH!

:roll: