Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Flat Rate Envelopes Denied! >

Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by MillieH
So far, they've thanked me for calling whatever to their attention, and say something like "I'm just learning."
Fabulous.

Because that's a basic tenet of business, in case you didn't know. When appointing someone to be head of one of your retail locations, make sure you send someone that is "still learning."
<snark off>
Old 02-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by MillieH
So far, they've thanked me for calling whatever to their attention, and say something like "I'm just learning."
Fabulous.

Because that's a basic tenet of business, in case you didn't know. When appointing someone to be head of one of your retail locations, make sure you send someone that is "still learning."
<snark off>
I've been in my job for 19 years and I am still learning. Our procedures change often and anyone can be caught out.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
I've been in my job for 19 years and I am still learning. Our procedures change often and anyone can be caught out.
I read "just" as in "just beginning" to learn.

Regardless, there seems to be a big disconnect at the PO when it comes to informing the clerks about changes. And I'm not talking about obscure rules.

I've been selling on eBay for over a decade and I wish I had a buck for each time I had to show them why they were spouting wrong information. It got to the point where I would make sure I would bring the printout of the relevant DMM page to show them.

It's annoying and draining dealing with them.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:09 PM

Got pkgs mailed...asked re: FRE's and was told that as long as the flap was able to seal it I could fill it...It didn't have to be "flat" Bulge OK as long as it was sealed initially with it's own adhesive flap and the package was not altered.

There have been occassions when the corner of the flap looked like it might "catch" on something, at which time they tape it down without problem.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 PM

There are a lot of friendly postal workers out there, it's aways the not so friendly ones who leave negative impressions.
Just remember, the postal workers also have to watch their "backs" with stuff that has gone through their hands/offices in the past. One piece of advice is not to go crazy with the tape. I hope you get things levelled out with your Post Office(s) and regain trust in them once again.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:41 AM

The rule DH was quoted was "3/4" maximum thickness".
Have you looked at P.O. website for rules?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 PM

Well I tried again with no luck today. I took an envelope in that was in the 3/4 inch guidlines that some of you have stated and it was denied. I had a nice little chat with the post master.

I asked what about the if it fits it ships slogan? He said that the problem is that it didn't fit. Just because the envelope shut doesn't mean that it fit. It is an envelope for documents only and cannot be used for anything else! Period. They are loosing so much money that they had to tighten down on the rules. Documents only.

We then talked about other options. I told him that if I stop using the flat rate envelopes I will no longer be able to sell online as the shipping will be more than the products that I am selling. He said that I can order the new padded envelopes online and use them. They are not used for documents. You can use them for anything and there are no restrictions on them as far as width.

Overall it was a very nice chat. He understood my complains and helped me to find a new solution. He also isn't sure why they can't get the bubble mailers in the store but he said he would look into it further for me. So I guess that is a reasonable solution

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments! I appreciate all the help and advice!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:20 PM

will they charge for the bubble mailers?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by butterflywing
No no charge for the bubble mailers. you can order them online.. Max 15 per order.. But you can order a pack of 15 every day if you need to..
Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Originally Posted by butterflywing
No no charge for the bubble mailers. you can order them online.. Max 15 per order.. But you can order a pack of 15 every day if you need to..
Or place an order a few times a day. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

They are sent parcel post, so delivery (at least to me) has been anywhere from 2 days to 9 days.