Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So whats the facination on collecting buttons? >

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

So whats the facination on collecting buttons?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Here ya to..... make these..... http://factorydirectcraft.com/factor...g/tag/buttons/ give them for Christmas gifts. tell them that it was SO obvious to you that they all wanted something made out of all the buttons they find and donate to the cause! tell them that now that they all have something made they can stop buying and sending them your way!
Do really like the above.
We collected buttons as in the war they were rationed, and, it goes against the grain to throw away good and pretty buttons in addition the ones made today are rubbish compared to the ones I have.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Here ya to..... make these..... http://factorydirectcraft.com/factor...g/tag/buttons/ give them for Christmas gifts. tell them that it was SO obvious to you that they all wanted something made out of all the buttons they find and donate to the cause! tell them that now that they all have something made they can stop buying and sending them your way!
Do really like the above.
We collected buttons as in the war they were rationed, and, it goes against the grain to throw away good and pretty buttons in addition the ones made today are rubbish compared to the ones I have.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:42 AM

very cute. I got one for x-mas.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 AM

One of the most fun things I got to do when I was little was to play in moms button box. I really loved those buttons! One time after I was married my folks were moving to a smaller place and mom was cleaning out stuff. She brought me the button box! I was elated........until I opened the box and it was empty! She had dumped the buttons in the garbage and the truck had already taken them away! I was crushed. I still have that old box. It is a metal can that had had a frute cake from Montgomery Ward in about 1935. I guess loving that button box so much is what prompts me to buy buttons. I have filled it op with novelty buttons and a few that are actually for clothing.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by frarose
I LOVE buttons and don't know why. If I see buttons I have to buy them. I have jars and hate to use them up. All I know is that I love them.
I think there are button lovers and non-button lovers and one will never understand the other. I've loved to collect buttons since I was a little girl. My Nana used to sit me down with her huge button tin and I'd look at them for hours. Now my grandkids do the same with mine. Boys and girls alike they all love to arrange my buttons by color and string them for me.
I get a kick out of it. 8-)
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I love reading all about everyones button stories . I'm glad I opened up this topic of conversation .
Old 04-21-2011, 07:48 PM

I think there is alot of button lovers out there You just dont hear much about them..I collect them too I remember my mom having tins full of buttons but when she passed I have no ideal what happened to them..but I get alot from friends and etc. Just sometimes hard to find in bulk at a reasonable price.You can use them on quilt tops or number of different things..I am sure you will find something to do with them...good luck
Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the site. My residents will love making and wareing the felt carnations :thumbup:
Old 06-25-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by champagnebubbles
Had to share what we do with buttons.
I did this with my residents but I had them cut out grocery bag flowers (I made flower templates from plastic coffee can lids) to go behind the buttons. They colored the pedals with paint or crayons (according to their abilities) first. Some even made two flowers. They enjoyed rifling through the buttons. Some even remembered buttons from their past. It turned out to be more then just an art activity.