Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you feel women should cut their hair >

do you feel women should cut their hair

do you feel women should cut their hair

Old 05-29-2011, 06:06 AM

I have just a bit of a natural wave. I keep it short because it is the easiest for me to maintain. I've worn it that way since my twenties. I am now 63. It is wash, comb, and go. I hate messing with hair. Ponytails, braids, buns etc. are too much bother. For special occasions I'll use a curling iron on it, which happens maybe once a year.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:12 AM

i had it to my waist until i was mid-fifties, when it turned totally grey. i looked like an old european grandma. i cut it short and colored it. since i have curls, it took ten years off my face. now it curl-dries by itself after my shower. no muss, no fuss. and it looks neater all the time.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:40 AM

I don't think there is or should be an age when your hair has to be long or has to be short. I think it should be what each person thinks is best for them. I got my first haircut when I was a senior in highschool! My mom wanted her girls to have long, curly hair. I went to spend the week with my grandmother who had a hairsylist living in one of her apartments, and she said she would style my hair for me. I went home with an Elvis cut that I loved and have had short hair since.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Wear whatever feels good, and to heck with age! I wear mine short because I can't stand it in my face. I am prone to headaches, and when I had it longer I got headaches from the pressure of pulling it back! If you want it shaved, then shave your head. If you want to look like lady Godiva - go for it! Life is too short to worry about what everyone thinks.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:01 PM

Most of my life I had shortish hair... from bobs to fro's depending on the year. During a divorce, while raising three children on my own... i had a buzz cut. I'd get a trim pretty often... and once when my hair dresser wasn't there the whoever did my hair used the wrong blade in the clipper. I had what would equate to an overall crewcut. Ten/twelve years later my hair is to my lower back... and why not!!! At 55 I can pull it off, though my kids hate the fact that my hair looks better then theirs.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by katieranch
I am almost 60, my hair is short because it looks best that way and my DH likes it short, too. I think a woman should wear her hair the way that makes her feel best!
I AGREE.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 PM

I also think we should be able to wear our hair anyway we want, but some women do not take care of their hair and it looks awlful, i know that is not my business, but that is why i prefer short.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:13 PM

I am almost 55 and my hair is almost to my waist I love it cause just wash it and go if i want it up or pulled back can do it easily dont have to fuss with blow drying or styling hate shorter hair which always got into my face and drove me crazy
Old 05-29-2011, 08:35 PM

I had long hair for years. After enduring chemo for cancer and it started coming out, I shaved the rest.
After it started to grow back, I no longer have good use of either shoulder, and so I keep it short as a matter of convenience. If I could by-pass the part of growing it back where it just gets in the way, but is not long enough yet to pull back in a ponytail, I might consider it.
At 63, and with other things to do with my time ( like quilting and painting) than mess with my hair, I have gotten accustomed to the "wash and wear" hair.

I figure there's a lot of us like Popeye......... I yam what I yam, take it or leave it,it's irrecipolous to me!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 AM

I just turned 58 and have had my hair almost reaching my waist for forever! I had it short so many years and had to do the wash, blow dry and curling iron every morning til I just got sick of fooling with it. It is so much easier to wash, blow dry and pull up on back of head or in a pony tail. I don't care who likes it or not. Oh, and I'm blonde too. That is getting to be a chore I'm getting tired of too, so I'm coloring as light blonde as possible and maybe going to let go to gray if it matches the white blonde enough. I'm so white gray now it should hopefully match enough that it won't be half gray and half blonde. That I just can't do.