Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Flat Rate Envelopes Denied! >

Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:32 PM

they sent me 100 padded envelopes...and I only ordered 10.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 PM

i never heard of them. what size are they? can they hold fabric? is there a pound limit? do you pay be weight?

how do they work?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
they sent me 100 padded envelopes...and I only ordered 10.
:lol: I remember seeing that post. I wasn't able to put in a higher number than "1" on the order page.

Perhaps your USPS account is set up as a "business" one. Mine is so old I don't remember, but it's possible it's "personal," and there are limitations on order quantities. Maybe. Who knows?

I'll try again next week. Right now it's not letting me order anything. :roll:
Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i never heard of them. what size are they? can they hold fabric? is there a pound limit? do you pay be weight?

how do they work?
They are a relatively new flat rate envelope - same price as the original one, but padded, and apparently able to be stuffed without incurring the disdain of (and being rejected by) your local postal workers for being more than 3/4" thick and containing something other than documents.

As referenced numerous times in the previous nine pages.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by MTS

how do they work?
They are a relatively new flat rate envelope - same price as the original one, but padded, and apparently able to be stuffed without incurring the disdain of (and being rejected by) your local postal workers for being more than 3/4" thick and containing something other than documents.

when there are this many pages in a thread, i scan the content but i don't always read every post. sorry about that. i did notice lately that i couldn't find the old-fashioned flatties, and when i asked my behind-the-counter postal lady, she just said they might have them at the other branch. (a one-horse town with two post offices and no one knows who has what). i didn't see those there either, although they display all the other freebies in a special rack and you just take what you need.

sorry for the trouble i caused in asking.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by MTS

how do they work?

when there are this many pages in a thread, i scan the content but i don't always read every post. sorry about that. i did notice lately that i couldn't find the old-fashioned flatties, and when i asked my behind-the-counter postal lady, she just said they might have them at the other branch. (a one-horse town with two post offices and no one knows who has what). i didn't see those there either, although they display all the other freebies in a special rack and you just take what you need.

sorry for the trouble i caused in asking.
You didn't cause me any trouble :)

Apparently these are really new ( as well as the FRE legal size cardboard ones) well anyway they have to be ordered online, and they will ship to your home. But the post office does not carry them as of yet.. But who knows, they seem to be changing everything these days.. I go online and order my max allowance (15qty) of the bubble ones and in a few days they arrive.. Im stocking up on both Legal fre's and the bubbles, as God only knows how long this good thing will last.. I use them in my swaps.. My PO allows the Legal cardboard FRE bulging.. So until she tells me otherwise Im goin that route..
Old 02-05-2011, 10:37 PM

i think that the next time i ship, i'll wrap in something lightweight, slap on a label and return address and take it to the counter. i'll ask if there's ANY cheaper way to ship and if she says yes, i can just mash my bundle into whatever and stick another pre-prepared label on that. whatever i want to send will cost what it costs either way. if it's a box, i'll take it home and keep adding until it's filled to the brim.

when i was on vacation and bought a lot of fabric, i couldn't fit it into my suitcase without going over the weight limit. no way was i going to pay the extra $50 they wanted, so i stuffed it into a large FR box and hubby sat on it while i taped the thing shut.
the people at the po didn't like it, but they seemed to be used to cheapy tourists and they took it. :mrgreen:
Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

I always use the machines to ship stuff, rather than going to the front desk -- it's faster, because there is no line, and almost nobody uses it, because I think they're intimidated by it.

I doubt the machine is going to tell me that I can't ship a stuffed envelope...
Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
what state are you in
I am in Washington State. South of Seattle.
wow! I'm north of Seattle and have no problem :?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Yeah I am in the Tacoma/Ft. Lewis area and have had trouble at all the PO around here! Maybe I didn't drive far enough north :)