Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-16-2011, 08:02 AM

I can understand the feeling of forgetfullness I think some one is filling my basket while looking around the store and sets it all on the check out counter I'm just thankful they have good taste as they say 'thats my story and I'm stickin to it'
Old 04-16-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by lyndaloo
Originally Posted by doris.meek13088
I understand and feel your pain!! I found out two days ago that my daughter's god parents will be coming to Montana in about 3 weeks to watch her march in her University graduation. I started finding places to stash all of the plastic tubs that I have in the downstairs guest closet so that they do not find out the "little" secret. My husband will find out when he goes down to help me make sure everything is in order for their arrival but I think he knows about it already.
I just see fabric & think I may never find it again so I had better get at least 1/2 yard (usually more like a full yard).
Do you know of any quilters anonymous meetings or should I just start one in my area?
I don't think the anonymous 12 step program would work for us. We'd never get past step one. For instance, I would get up and say "My name is Lynda and I'm a fabriholic. I have tons of fabric and I keep buying more. I want to stop, but "The Quilt Shoppe" has a great sale on and..." At this point there would be a stampede to get out of the room and get to the cars and head for "The Quilt Shoppe."

Stay with us, we'll enable you every chance we get!
Good heavens, Lynda. I almost laughed myself sick. You're right though. We'd never get past step 1
Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Katy
Originally Posted by booklady
I always lived by the motto "The one that dies with the most fabric wins."

Please don't tell me that is not true! Don't burst my bubble.
I heard that the one who dies with the most fabric wasn't sewing fast enough.
LOL, probably true!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 AM

Sounds like you've built yourself a great hedge against the ever continuing rise of fabric prices. Now, hunker down and get busy. :lol:
Old 04-16-2011, 08:11 AM

While I am trying hard to work out of my stash, I still find myself in the fabric area when I go somewhere that might even remotely have fabric!!! even the thrift stores aren't safe!!!...... but you know what I guess we could have worse habits so.. that is my excuse & I am sticking to it!!! good luck but remember a bad day deserves a little fabric shopping!! hahaha
Old 04-16-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
What is it about fabric?

I've been quilting for a little over a year now. And after my last quilt I started to organize my fabric.....YIKES!!

How many times can you say...OHHH I remember that KIT I forgot I had that!

Or...That's RIGHT I got this cute baby flannel for the next time I needed to make a baby quilt. (I've done 4 since getting that fabric)

I have jelly rolls galore and then 1/4 yard of fabric just cause I thought they were fun.

So after going through EVERY tub I'm embarrased to say there really wasn't alot of scraps.....most were KITS.....fabric, plus the backing I bought after getting the kit and the patterns....KITS....many are queen sized....those aren't cheap.

I realize it will be hard to quilt cold turkey but unless there is a project I'm doing for someone that I HAVE to get done and they pick a specific fabric, I really need to use what I have.

I mean I know we kid about it alot, but there's hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars in my sewing room. Granted they are all now organized with a digital picture of the kit taped to the front of the projects bag. But it's an entire kitchen island full, several plastic tubs, and a shelf stacked with jelly rolls (did I mention I've only ever done 1 quilt with a jelly roll)

WHY are we so obsessed with this stuff?!?!?! I was actually slighty horrified that I couldn't even REMEMBER buying some of these kits.

So we'll see how long I can stay on the non-fabric purchasing wagon....cause it's OUT OF CONTROL! I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate.

P.S. I forgot to mention I found 3 kits in the little secret cubby in the trunk of my RAV4......THREE.....I was too ashamed to bring them in the house. :P
That makes me laugh out loud! I am so like that...although I don't think I have that much fabric.....only one tub full. :lol:
Old 04-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
I gave up fabric shopping for Lent. I use Quicken and last year I spent $2,110 on "quilting". The bright side is, my daughter came to visit yesterday and picked out fabric for her quilt. Didn't even have to go shopping! She does think I'm a hoarder, though.
I gave up "giving up" for Lent!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:14 AM

I have a suggestion for some of your extra fabric in your stash...give it to a 4-H club. A few of us from our guild started a quilting club for 4-Hers. We have four third graders and one sixth grader. They need their own stashes...share!

I know I have a problem in even choosing fabric to share. I like it all and want to keep it. Oh, I have given some of those early batik purchases (Hancock's and JoAnn's) to the charity arm of our guild. There were much prettier batiks out there.

I've heard of fabric stashes called "insulation" for the house. : )

No wonder people can do a search for a particular fabric on websites like this. One of us must have some of it.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 AM

You have to stir away from the fabric section !
Old 04-16-2011, 08:19 AM

Michael I feel your pain as I have far more fabric and kits than you! I decided to be gone with the guilt! I collect fabric! Pure and simple since we all know that when that fabric sings it's Siren song we must have it! As a collection I feel no pressure to use what I have all the time. That is not to say that I don't use my stash I do on almost every project. I also believe fabric is like fine wine it must sit on my shelf and age. Remember what is old is new again. Wait long enough and it will come back into style. Now about the jelly rolls check out the quiltville.com site and see the scrap quilts she makes and there are free patterns there. Have fun and let the stress go!

One wall in the Studio more fabric in the walkin closet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185092[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185086.jpe