Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

• Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 AM

QUILTING IS AN ADDITION AND I LOVE IT. IT IS SOOO MUCH BETTER THAN SITTING IN A BAR, OR SPENDING EVERYDAY AT THE MALL. QUILT SHOPS ARE SO MUCH HEALTHIER. GOOD LUCK MICHAEL. STAY OUT OF THE SHOPS FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND DO SOME SEWING... THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING AND I HAVE FINISHED 3 TOPS THIS WEEK!!!
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:37 AM

LOL Wonder what is really wrong with us. Intervention is need here also. Enjoy your fabric and keep making things send some to charities for good measure. You are in the same boat as the rest of us.
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
    What is it about fabric?

I've been quilting for a little over a year now. And after my last quilt I started to organize my fabric.....YIKES!!

How many times can you say...OHHH I remember that KIT I forgot I had that!

Or...That's RIGHT I got this cute baby flannel for the next time I needed to make a baby quilt. (I've done 4 since getting that fabric)

I have jelly rolls galore and then 1/4 yard of fabric just cause I thought they were fun.

So after going through EVERY tub I'm embarrased to say there really wasn't alot of scraps.....most were KITS.....fabric, plus the backing I bought after getting the kit and the patterns....KITS....many are queen sized....those aren't cheap.

I realize it will be hard to quilt cold turkey but unless there is a project I'm doing for someone that I HAVE to get done and they pick a specific fabric, I really need to use what I have.

I mean I know we kid about it alot, but there's hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars in my sewing room. Granted they are all now organized with a digital picture of the kit taped to the front of the projects bag. But it's an entire kitchen island full, several plastic tubs, and a shelf stacked with jelly rolls (did I mention I've only ever done 1 quilt with a jelly roll)

WHY are we so obsessed with this stuff?!?!?! I was actually slighty horrified that I couldn't even REMEMBER buying some of these kits.

So we'll see how long I can stay on the non-fabric purchasing wagon....cause it's OUT OF CONTROL! I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate.

P.S. I forgot to mention I found 3 kits in the little secret cubby in the trunk of my RAV4......THREE.....I was too ashamed to bring them in the house. :P
    Aaaaaaaaaah, trying to figure out what to say.

I think my big hang up is finding a good bargin. I love finding fabric at rummage sales and thrift stores. Easily 75% of what I got I got cheap!
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Michael,

Welcome to the club. Just last wewek I decided to organize the piles of fabric and I am up to 4 totes and that is just quilting fabric. Still have a few totes that I use for art dolls and mixed media. Of course we went to Hancocks and they had thereclean sweep sale and so much for not buying more fabric till we head east in Sept. and go to Lancaster. So don't be hard on yourself. Plus I am sure will find more when we go to Iowa in Oct so looks like it is never ending.

Jeff aka Hoppa
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by mrsmlm
    You have me beat. We just built a new house with a 31 x 14 sewing room with a huge walk in closet. I brought my stash in from the barn (stored in huge rubber maid totes) and it fills that room plus one of the spare bedrooms. Anyone want to come help organize it? Yes, I think a TV show on fabric hoarding is needed here.
    WE DO NOT NEED ANYONE TELLING US TO GET RID OF OUR STUFF!

I'd have to hurt someone!
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Welcome to the club. I no longer purchase fabric unless it is for a specific, ongoing project. This is a financial decision...if money was no concern, I'd continue adding at will.
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:47 AM

I know that feeling. I'm not so big on kits, but I start putting quilts together in my mind and then start shopping for them before finishing the several projects I'm already working on at the time. I have to go in with a whip and chair to clean and organize my sewing room. I then find fabric I bought and completely forget about. With the price of quilting supplies going up with everything else, we need to use what we have on hand. I'm making a vow to do just that. (again) I will try to finish my projects before starting or shopping for another quilt. Let's try it!
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:49 AM
    Power Poster

I'm there with you. I also started putting projects together and amazed at how many I had that were ready to start. And I can't even begin to think about those still in the planning stages!!! :shock: I've been saying that I want to live long enough to get them all done, but at this rate I'll be over 120 years old and probably still buying fabric!!!
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Country1
    Originally Posted by miholmes
    What is it about fabric?

I've been quilting for a little over a year now. And after my last quilt I started to organize my fabric.....YIKES!!

How many times can you say...OHHH I remember that KIT I forgot I had that!

Or...That's RIGHT I got this cute baby flannel for the next time I needed to make a baby quilt. (I've done 4 since getting that fabric)

I have jelly rolls galore and then 1/4 yard of fabric just cause I thought they were fun.

So after going through EVERY tub I'm embarrased to say there really wasn't alot of scraps.....most were KITS.....fabric, plus the backing I bought after getting the kit and the patterns....KITS....many are queen sized....those aren't cheap.

I realize it will be hard to quilt cold turkey but unless there is a project I'm doing for someone that I HAVE to get done and they pick a specific fabric, I really need to use what I have.

I mean I know we kid about it alot, but there's hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars in my sewing room. Granted they are all now organized with a digital picture of the kit taped to the front of the projects bag. But it's an entire kitchen island full, several plastic tubs, and a shelf stacked with jelly rolls (did I mention I've only ever done 1 quilt with a jelly roll)

WHY are we so obsessed with this stuff?!?!?! I was actually slighty horrified that I couldn't even REMEMBER buying some of these kits.

So we'll see how long I can stay on the non-fabric purchasing wagon....cause it's OUT OF CONTROL! I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate.

P.S. I forgot to mention I found 3 kits in the little secret cubby in the trunk of my RAV4......THREE.....I was too ashamed to bring them in the house. :P
    Destash in a Flash Program

I feel your pain! I am willing to you. It's a twelve step program, but don't worry it will only take 12 days to complete.
    Day 1. send me a small piece of fabric, to help you let go
    Day 2. send me a larger pc of fab, part of the program
    Day 3. Send me 2 yds of fab,step program related of course
    Day 4. send me a small tote of fab, take deep breathe ok
    Day 5. send me med. tote, doing great
    Day 6. send me 2 med. totes,hang in there almost a wk
    Day 7. send me 1 lg tote, just to celebrate wk 1
    Day 8. send me 2 lg totes, starting week 2
    Day 9. send me 3 lg totes, hang in there u'r doing great
    Day 10.send me as much as you can let go of now.
    Day 11.send me everything else you don't want to keep
    Day 12. send me all that you really couldn't decide if you
    wanted to keep.
    CONGRATULATIONS!! You have just completed the program and will receive many thanks from me and a strong sense of accomplishment for yourself.
    If you should feel this addiction starting to attack you again, it is okay, I'll remain here to walk you thru again.
    It is perfectly okay to share this with any one else with the same problem. I feel it is my duty to help all those in need! :thumbup:
    Are you packing for your trip to the Betty Ford of quilters, Country?
    tee hee
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    You could always stack your tubs up nicely and put a lovely table cloth over them. You have new table space; end tables ect. What is wrong with just looking in new quilt shops?
    Good try, Pruple. I've got a couple Rubbermaid tables already! I need tall---------tall ------tall tables.