Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you feel women should cut their hair >

do you feel women should cut their hair

do you feel women should cut their hair

Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
I just turned 58 and have had my hair almost reaching my waist for forever! I had it short so many years and had to do the wash, blow dry and curling iron every morning til I just got sick of fooling with it. It is so much easier to wash, blow dry and pull up on back of head or in a pony tail. I don't care who likes it or not. Oh, and I'm blonde too. That is getting to be a chore I'm getting tired of too, so I'm coloring as light blonde as possible and maybe going to let go to gray if it matches the white blonde enough. I'm so white gray now it should hopefully match enough that it won't be half gray and half blonde. That I just can't do.
I have a friend who decided to allow her hair to go grey so she is actually getting her dyed blonde hair highlighted with grey so the grey grows in, it looks really pretty! The grey highlights are very bright so it all just blends in and she is growing out the grey roots. Shes using a purple colored shampoo too that enhances the grey and helps keep the blonde bits from being too yellow.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:54 AM

There's an old adage that says "Long hair makes a young girl look younger and an old girl look older." From my observation, it seems to be true. I'm 59 and the shorter it is, the younger I look.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:50 AM

i think you should wear it the way it looks best on you. me - ? looks best short & curly. perm every 6-8 weeks. pick & go.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MissBarbQuilts
There's an old adage that says "Long hair makes a young girl look younger and an old girl look older." From my observation, it seems to be true. I'm 59 and the shorter it is, the younger I look.
Maybe...but I know that I got carded in town when I went to buy Vodka to make starch. And I am over 50... They are told to card anyone that they are not sure is over 35.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 PM

I have thin hair with cow licks and a hair line that looks like an ugly widows peak. Even when I was young and had long hair it didn't look good in a pony tail. The back is really short and I have bangs. If it wasn't for hairspray I would have no hair do at all. You know how little blond haired kids look when they wake up in the morning, that's me. I wish I could grow it long and pull it back but it just doesn't work. Some women can wear their hair longer as they age and some can't. Their is no certain age.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:30 PM

first of all, I love your dog.. My father used to have 5 beagles, (at the same time.. in N.Y.C.) and I loved them all.. secondly, as a youn girl, (19) I became a decided blonde... I decided it myself.. my mother hated it, but I was no longer at home... my dingy brown hair never surfaced again. Most of the time it was long, and very thin.. When I became 58, Thee was so much white in it, I let it go.... yes, it was all white by then. and still more than shoulder length, (so I could put it up, under my nurses cap) Now that I am 81, I got it cut shorter, and even though it is still baby thin, it tends to curl after my shampoo.... do I cut my hair? no, I let the beauty shop do it....(that's a joke, son...) I like this shorter hair now, just out of the shower, I squish it around a little, and let it air dry. Diana.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:24 PM

i have long thick curly hair... i can wash it & go.. if it short i have to '"do " it... so not interested in doing hair
@ 500 am b4 i leave for work..

so it will be long til i croak... cause i can always pull it up out of the way, tying it into a knot (with out pins or ponytail holder) and get it out of the way ..
Old 05-30-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MissBarbQuilts
Interesting adage. I guess that just confirms my feelings on long hair. I always wanted to look older!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 PM

Yes and in late 50's my hair seems thinner too so seems to have more body if short
Old 05-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

ooooh....sore subject around here...

my EX MIL said that all Decent women over the age of 35 should not have hair past their collar!

I have always had long hair...not nearly as long as my DH would like right now, but longer that I want....I wear it pinned up 99% of the time, and wish I could just cut it off...but he fears that "butch dyke" look will happen so he asks that I NOT cut it any shorter...sigh...