Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you feel women should cut their hair >

do you feel women should cut their hair

do you feel women should cut their hair

Old 05-27-2011, 01:43 PM

After I retired in 2007 I decided to let my hair grow out. (I have always worn it very short.) It grew for two years and for very much below my shoulders. I put it in a ponytail or wore it pinned back. I was enjoying it. And then my DH slipped up and said "I like your hair better short." Well it wasn't his words that made me cut it, it was a picture taken of me at a party. All I could see was a mass of gray all over my head and neck and I said yipes! Went the next week and had it cut!! Short hair makes me feel younger, plus it is easier to take care of.

Sooooo, I feel women should cut their hair if they want to...its their hair.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

A very personal thing. I have had my hair short for about 40 yrs., the last 8 years I keep it 1/2 - 1-1/4" long. I like it and it allows me more time to quilt. My hair is thin and soft as a Baby's hair and straighter than a poker and no body. This style works well for me.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:00 PM

I am 46 and my hair is almost to my knees. It is very straight, fine and thin, so I have no issues with the weight of it. I once let others talk me into gettin my hair cut short (as in "adult style and low maintenance")after the birth of my first son. I HATED it. I have always loved long hair and so I decided years ago to wear my hair the way I want it, regardless of my age or what others think. I get lots of compliments on my hair and, if anyone thinks it is inappropriate for someone my age to have long hair, they keep it to themselves.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:31 PM

I have always had to wear my hair short because it is so baby fine. I thought once it turned gray it would be thicker, but no such luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:34 PM

When I was younger my hair was cut short then I started to wear it long and now it is half way between
Old 05-27-2011, 03:35 PM

I wear mine short because I feel best that way. To each her own!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
It's surprising to me how many say they go by what their DH likes about their hair style. Honestly I've never asked my DH anything about my hair other then Did that bug fly in my hair!?!!
+1

My ex used to get really pissy when I got any length chopped off, like it was his head or something. My most wonderful DH has never said anything when I got back from the hairdresser other than "you look beautiful, dear!"

I like my hairdo and since I am happy, he is.

(And, I don't ever say anything about the sometimes creative facial hair DH has been known to sport....fair is fair!)
Old 05-27-2011, 04:13 PM

Wear it the way you like it! Not your dh, not your best friend, not because someone says you are too old for long hair. However, to be very honest, I have a sister who is 62 and she has let her very thick hair grow about shoulder length. It's turned very gray and is very dry looking, is unmanageable looking. Ok to be honest she looks like an insane person, like she stuck her finger into an electrical outlet. She needs to either style it, color it, or just do something. So if someone you trust tells you your hair truely looks awful, you probably should listen and think about their opinion carefully. Praying the next time I see her she looks better than she did last week.
Kat
Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Interesting topic! I've always worn mine short - I have very heavy, coarse hair - in fact, it looks best when razor cut. Hosta, my grandmother also had very long hair and wore it in a long braid...your mention of your grandmother brought many wonderful memories :)
Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 PM

I don't think age has anything to do with how women wear their hair. If they are happy with it that is what counts.