Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use a leader when you piece? >

Do you use a leader when you piece?

Do you use a leader when you piece?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
So, I'm trying to understand what a leader is for. Is it just to keep the thread from bunching as you start sewing? Doesn't just holding the thread as you start sewing accomplish that? Or is it for something else...
I think the leader is to prevent your material from bunching up, and your thread balling up. I think it's great you don't "have to" use one. On my machine if I start at the edge of the fabric it will not "go" if it is thin fabric, it just bunches up, and I get a knot of thread that has to be taken out.

I think it's great you don't need to use a leader!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:40 AM

I never use a leader. I don't see why it is necessary and if someone can explain to me why it is, then please bring me up to date. I guess if your thread bunches when you start out, that would be a good reason. I quilt with two different groups and there are a couple of people who use them but most of us don't.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Always
Old 08-20-2011, 09:57 AM

te=penski]
Originally Posted by marmalade
Ok - I have read through this whole topic. I must be having a "fibro fog" brain day, because I still do not understand this method. I even looked on b hunter's website and still can't decipher the photos.

I need better pictures to show this. Can anyone help???
when you are sewing pieces together and as you start out have you ever had the first edge of the material go down in the bobbin? well using a leader material helps that not to happen, get a scrap fabric, sew on it first and when you get to the end of the material put the actual piece of the quilt you are going to sew right behind it so that it is the next material to go under the needle and sew right from the leader fabric skip a little space and then on to the quilt piece then after you are done sewing all the "chains" of fabric you want , go back and cut the thread that connects all the fabric pieces, and they then become individual pieces i hope this explains it for you if not PM me[/quote]

:) :Lightbulb moment! I finally understand! I think I will try this for the chain piecing. I can see how once you are organized, you can save time and thread.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it enough so I could understand! :)
Old 08-20-2011, 10:10 AM

I do ,it not only keeps the thread from bunching up and knotting at the beginning it also saves thread when you end with one at the end of the seam. Hope this makes sense,it is called an ender then. lol
Old 08-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
I do ,it not only keeps the thread from bunching up and knotting at the beginning it also saves thread when you end with one at the end of the seam. Hope this makes sense,it is called an ender then. lol
I don't understand that. At the end of a piece I just "end" it. Sew off the end, cut the threads.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Even if my machine had an auto thread cutter I would still use them. It's another one of those preference thingies!
It saves thread and I have another quilt made (although slower lol) in the process. My Janome doesn't bunch the fabric or make nests, I just like to make scrappy Irish Chains so I keep plenty of 2&1/2 squares cut up. Mine are more enders than leaders.
I have learned to butt the fabrics close together so I don't have many threads all over the place. Now if I could just figure out how to control the lint I would be happier.

Originally Posted by dcamarote
I never use a leader. I don't see why it is necessary and if someone can explain to me why it is, then please bring me up to date. I guess if your thread bunches when you start out, that would be a good reason. I quilt with two different groups and there are a couple of people who use them but most of us don't.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
I keep a scrap bag of USED lightweight paper piecing paper and use these as leaders, no need to butt to fabric i just lay the tip of the fabric on the paper and run my seam. When finished I just pinch the paper and tear.
I like this idea - thanks for sharing.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:56 AM

Always, I always use enders too so I'm ready to go on the next batch of chain piecing.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Absolutely! I got SO tired of bobbin thread doing it's "ugly" thing...